1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Bid on edging only.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bayoulawn, Apr 21, 2004.

1. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

If you were asked to bid a bank for edging only, no mowing.
    Would you bid it by linear feet or what? And If so, how much per foot?

I will also be maintaining planting beds, but its the edging I was wondering about.

2. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:eek: Well i have worked for banks and it was always about money. Anyway--- how many homes could you edge in the time it would take to edge the bank? I'm guessing about 2-3 homes. I will charge $10 to $15 to just edge an average house in my area. So I'd say $30 to $45.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure about your areas (Fla. and La.), but around here edging is charged by the linear foot. I charge $1/ft and don't have any problem getting my price; especially when joe homeowner gets out there with a spade and finds out how much time and labor it takes.

4. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

Dito... Do you do it with a long handled flat spade?

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

No way. That's just too much work for me. I use a bed edger that I bought at Kenmulch, but charge the same as I would if I was doing it with a spade. After all, if the bed edger quits on me I'm going to end up doing the job by hand, and don't think a customer would appreciate/understand it if I changed the bid just because I no longer have that piece of equipment.

6. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Get that new Bed Edger little wonder makes man you can do 100 somethin feet a minute. I want one but dont have a real need for it as i only cut beds in at spring cleanup time. If anyone has used on tell me what you think of it.

7. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

I dont mean bed edging i mean side walk edging.

I think?

I better ask and find out for sure.

8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

If the edging is bad say it haven't been edged in a while then I will bid by the hour because cleanup is involved.

I have a trim rite I use for the bad ones.

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

What, 1 dollar a foot for edging? Thats absolutely insane.