1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bid Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Sep 22, 2005.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The condo's I cut this year want 2 bids for next year, one normal, where I use any equipment I want, and the second, where I only use my 36" walkbehind. They water every single day and the ground is very wet, always. There isn't much I can do about the few places that get torn up.

Right now with what I cut it takes about 2 hours with my 260Z. There are 23 units of 2 homes per unit for a total of 46 homes. Around all of the backs of the homes, there are bigger open areas.

This place takes me about 8 hours to cut, trim, and blow. My bid for normal cutting was going to be $450-500 a cut, haven't quite decided. I was going to make the other bid pretty steep, mainly because I don't want to have to do it that way, but if they are willing to pay the high price, then I would still do it. On paper, using my walkbehind would only add about another hour of mowing time, based on the fact that a 36" deck is 60% of a 60" deck. My question is how much more should I bid for using my 36" walkbehind?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If you really don't want to use the 36" there is no limit. Double the price $900-1k at least if you get it you won't mind doing it.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe that WB runs as fast as that Z can. deck width is only a small part of the change. don't forget the comfort or should I say the discomfort of not sitting anymore. my legs hurt just thinking about 10 hours standing on a sulky.
    double or triple the bid.
    JMO

4. jtkplc

well, by no means do i run a full 13 mph with my Z. I usually cut 4-8MPH, which my walkbehind will do. I have a proslide, so my legs don't get any abuse. The 2 hours I am on my walkbehind there now I hardly notice it.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya but, 10 hours is a little different. I hate using my WB

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know your market regarding competition but $60/hr on a set of condo units is a very good situation. If you go higher, and they are upset with the big mower, they may go for another bid. In our market we would do these units for a lot less than what you get and use the 36" hydro.

7. jtkplc

10 hours? the absolute most i would be on it would be 3.5-4.