bidding a residentail

larrylawns

LawnSite Member
just one guestion on bidding a new job. what is the right formula for giving a potental customer a price on a yard. some have told me by the hour for the crew or by the hour per person and some have told me a $1 per minute per person.as I've been doing this work for 25 yrs alott of people have told me every way possible i found some customers dont or wont pay by the hour and only want a set price for anything extra(trimming hedges,mulch etc)any advice will be much appreciated

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
don't do anything extra without charging for it. don't work for free. price it by the hour but just tell them the final price not how much per hour. say they want the yard mowed, trimmed, and blown....and it takes 1 hr....charge them $50-$60 for the job. if they want mulch or trimming hedges then charge for those jobs depending on how long it takes. you don't just throw that in for free. if it takes 1 hr to trim the hedges and cleanup then charge them another $50-$60. and if it takes 1hr to mulch then charge yet another $50-$60.

justanotherlawnguy

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you've been doing this for 25 years, why are you asking for help on bidding a job?

I guess if you have not figured it out after 25 years, you will probably never figure it out!
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you've been doing this for 25 years, why are you asking for help on bidding a job?

I guess if you have not figured it out after 25 years, you will probably never figure it out!
Posted via Mobile Device
The last three threads I have looked at, you have commented useless, negative, and pointless things. Why do you feel the need to comment? To the op, I'm afraid I don't really understand your question; are you asking how, how much, or what to charge?
Posted via Mobile Device

justanotherlawnguy

LawnSite Bronze Member
The last three threads I have looked at, you have commented useless, negative, and pointless things. Why do you feel the need to comment? To the op, I'm afraid I don't really understand your question; are you asking how, how much, or what to charge?
Posted via Mobile Device
Probably because those threads were useless, negative, and pointless!

Every new guy on this site seems to think they are the first genius to ask whatever question it is they are asking. When in fact there are already tons and tons of threads with the info already out there. They are just to lazy to search for it. Everyone wants to be spoonfed the "right" answers. They all are searching for the shortcuts.

How many more threads must we endure of some noob asking what door hangar to get, what truck to get, or what mower to get.

There hasnt been useful info on this site in years.

Reality check: nobody here, myself included, is gonna give out the secret to a successful lawn business. Why would any successful lco get on here and give all the juicy details of their successful business plan to guys who have given it zero thought?

Seriously, even if this guy has been a helper for 25 years he is gonna have some idea how to price a job, right?

In closing, it's a lawn business, it doesn't take a harvard MBA to figure it out!
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member

Every new guy on this site seems to think they are the first genius to ask whatever question it is they are asking. When in fact there are already tons and tons of threads with the info already out there. They are just to lazy to search for it. Everyone wants to be spoonfed the "right" answers. They all are searching for the shortcuts.

How many more threads must we endure of some noob asking what door hangar to get, what truck to get, or what mower to get.

Reality check: nobody here, myself included, is gonna give out the secret to a successful lawn business. Why would any successful lco get on here and give all the juicy details of their successful business plan to guys who have given it zero thought?

Seriously, even if this guy has been a helper for 25 years he is gonna have some idea how to price a job, right?

In closing, it's a lawn business, it doesn't take a harvard MBA to figure it out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Really? If you actually believe that then just delete your account and quit trolling around here. I have found tons of useful information to utilize in my company, and have hopefully helped some others on here. Your dissatisfaction with this site or the people on it is no need to be negative. As to your original point, those threads, along with this one, are not negative useless and pointless.

fireman gus

LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
If you are so dissatisfied with this forum I suggest you leave. I have gathered lots of useful information from threads!