Bidding Bush Jobs.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Carolina Cuttin' Company, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Member

Assuming that they are relatively well maintained, how do I do it consistently without already having a good eye for estimating time for bushes? Square feet of surface to trim?

2. LPSiowa

LPSiowa LawnSite Member

What is hour hourly rate? Use that to figure out how much per minute.

Once you've got that, figure how long a bush/shrub is going to take you.

As an easy example lets say you're at $60/hr which is $1/min.

Bush will take 10 minutes to trim, $10.

BUT, is it over rocks? Gravel? Mulch? You'll have to put down a drop cloth or a tarp. Figure in that time too.

Are you leaving the debris on site? Or are you taking it with you? Paper bags or back of truck/trailer? Gotta consider dump fees and the bagging too, and include those.

It'll be a big of a process at first, but the more you do it, the less you'll get bit by them. You'll learn how long the different types will take, which are easier which are harder, etc.

Any more questions you have, I'd be happy to try and help.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Ok. I figured that would be what people would say, but how do I KNOW how long it will take?

4. LPSiowa

LPSiowa LawnSite Member

So, you're gonna hate me for this. Experience is how you know.

You have any bushes and shrubs at home? Do a practice run on them. Or family and friends, do a practice run if they'll let you. It will let you get a feel for it.

If that's not an option, ballpark it as close as you can and over a few jobs you'll learn how long things take and your estimating will get more in line with what you actually should be at.

zlandman likes this.
  5. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Ugh! There's not any sort of "You should probable average x minutes per sq. ft."?

BTW. I'm curious about these mysterious thing-a-majigs. I know exactly why things are in my truck. If it has a good reason to be there, it's because that's where I decided it should go. If it doesn't, it's because that's where my dad left it. ;)

6. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Check out George Packards YouTube video on trimming bushes.
    He recomend pricing per size of Bush $2 Bush $12 bush. Etc.

LPSiowa likes this.
  7. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Cutting takes less time than cleaning. So figure how fast you can generally cut, and add more time to clean up. Size of shrub, ladder work, bees, deep pruning all have their place.

LPSiowa likes this.
  8. LPSiowa

LPSiowa LawnSite Member

Bees, oh my lord how could I forget bees? Those things can take a 2 minute shrub and turn it into a whole freakin' ordeal man, I tell you :laugh::laugh:

Also, the thing-a-majigs, one of them is a crock pot. Not sure why its there. Been there for months. Always forget to take it out. If I had to wager, the boss has her hand in that one somehow :laugh:

9. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Wow! A crockpot. Get you a generator and you can heat up your lunch. I microwave might be better, but...