Bidding My First Retaining Wall

RocketLab

LawnSite Member
Hi, need help mainly on time and labor involved on bidding my first retaining wall for a friend of ours.

They are buying the stone from Lowe's http://www.lowes.com/pd_98461-215-1...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

For now is will be the base level with one level up. It will be a total of 87 linear feet along the sidewalk for 13 feet, up the driveway for 7 feet. Down the other side of the drive for 7 feet then turn onto the sidewalk for 13 feet. Up the front door walkway for 9 feet, back down same walkway for 9 feet turning onto the remainder of the sidewalk for 30 feet. So 4 corners to cut and connect

I'm thinking of renting a mini excavator for a day at $220.00 to do the digging as it is just me and one employee although I can get day labor fairly easily if it makes more sense to go that way.

I figure 3/4 of a yard for base and 6-7 yards to backfill the slope behind the wall. Purpose of the wall besides decoration is to solve lawn sloping down to the sidewalk to correct water no water retention into the grass as it just runs off. Planning on backfilling the wall with rock for water dispersion and put pipes for drainage.

My inexperienced guess is 3 days to complete. I am trying to give them a good deal as their fellow cub scout parents and get the job but not lose revenue over lawn maintenance which we average 350 to 500 a day. Not to mention the experience we need for future projects.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give an much info as possible. Any help thanks in advance!

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Of this was my forum I would suspend your acct for 7 days for using the word "bidding"
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
If this was my forum I would suspend your acct for 7 days for using the word "bidding"
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

FLCthes4:11-12

LawnSite Senior Member
Since you have no expirence and want to cut them a deal I would do it as a time and material job. (If you set the exact perimeters and specifications of the job it is a called a Proposal NOT BID!) 15-20 buck per hour plus your laborer and let them pay for all the material and equip rental.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt

LawnSite Silver Member
Purpose of the wall besides decoration is to solve lawn sloping down to the sidewalk to correct water no water retention into the grass as it just runs off.
Sounds like your problem could be better solved by taking a look at the irrigation system and making some necessary modifications to both the design and the scheduling to prevent runoff. May be a hell of a lot less expensive for your client!

OP
RocketLab

RocketLab

LawnSite Member
If this was my forum I would suspend your acct for 7 days for using the word "bidding"
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Point taken on the word bidding....

OP
RocketLab

RocketLab

LawnSite Member
Since you have no expirence and want to cut them a deal I would do it as a time and material job. (If you set the exact perimeters and specifications of the job it is a called a Proposal NOT BID!) 15-20 buck per hour plus your laborer and let them pay for all the material and equip rental.
This is the best way to go. Just curious what you might charge for this wall for your labor overhead and profit minus materials and machinery rental.