Bidding on Houses 1 Acre and Up?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by StearnScape, May 17, 2019.

1. StearnScape

StearnScape LawnSite Member

Starting to Bid on houses here in Southern California w/ Acres+ more...I'm a one man team. Been charging $80.00 an hour, trimming, weed control, some push mowing. Two hours or more every two weeks. poway house bid.PNG Owners tend to pay for extra time and dump fees. I included picture of this 1.6 acre house I'm about to go to in a few days or week. How would you bid these jobs, hourly like im doing? i think every week should be better for Large properties. Time wise I dont mind every two weeks because of other clients I have, but will squeeze it in for right price.Any thoughts would help.

poway house bid.PNG

hort101 likes this.
  2. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Generally the estates around here have a hired landscaper they work at that location every day trimming shrubs, sweeping cobwebs, mowing, etc.
    As far as mowing only, it needs to look good because chances are they’re going to be entertaining people more often than the average home owner, so plan on double cutting, plan on bagging, plan on edging every week, plan on trimming, and don’t be tearing up the lawn with zero turns. Always bring a hedge trimmer and a pair of Felco’s with you. As far as what to charge, I’d plan on a seasonal rate to include hedges, mulching, re define beds (by hand) and mowing.

hort101, zlandman and KUMA01 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    StearnScape

That is very helpful.......Can you give some prices I could charge (ballpark) and difference between them during the seasons? Clean-up...leaf litter etc...

4. Andrew H

I could, but then what are you going to do on the next one? The one after that? Figure it out don’t be afraid to tell them no.

5. OP
    OP
    StearnScape

Exactly right....I'm on it!! Fill you in later......thx

6. Andrew H

Oh one more thing, sometimes wealthy people can be pretty damn cheap.

Btw, cool house

hort101 likes this.