Big box stores cheaper than wholesale

Evan528

LawnSite Silver Member
The "wholesale" nurseries around here are more expensive that home depot as well. There really are no wholesale nurseries around here...just ones that call themselves that and sell only to the trade. Plant material has gotten rediculous..... I am embarassed charging almost $50.00 for a 3 gallon barberry installed....

ericmcj31

LawnSite Senior Member
The "wholesale" nurseries around here are more expensive that home depot as well. There really are no wholesale nurseries around here...just ones that call themselves that and sell only to the trade. Plant material has gotten rediculous..... I am embarassed charging almost $50.00 for a 3 gallon barberry installed....

$50 for a 3 gallon barberry installed?? no freakin' way-! I hope I get to bid against you on a job--! For real-I get barely over half that for a 3 gallon installed plant. People would laugh in my face if I came over quoting tha tkind of stuff-lol

allinearth

LawnSite Senior Member
Where did you see leylands for 995? Lately when I have been checking prices at boxes they have been around $17 or more for most 3gal. I was happy because that it easy to compete with.:weightlifter: You can find cheaper prices than what has been posted. McMinnville is better for trees, especially B&B.

ericmcj31

LawnSite Senior Member
Where did you see leylands for 995? Lately when I have been checking prices at boxes they have been around $17 or more for most 3gal. I was happy because that it easy to compete with.:weightlifter: You can find cheaper prices than what has been posted. McMinnville is better for trees, especially B&B.

any grower who is shooting straight forward w/ you will sell leylands below 9.95;

click this link and half way down the page.http://www.evinsmillnursery.com/reduction-sale.htm#Leyland
if you get on the websites you can check on a lot of growers.

Big C

LawnSite Bronze Member
I needed 60 bags of pine mulch (I normally don't buy bulk) but went around town to a few place and found the best deal a Wal-mart for almost half the price of anywhere else.

OP
jd75760

jd75760

LawnSite Member
Knowle's ran a add in craigslist/nashville that said liquidation, everything must go, most in 3 gallon containers for $5 each. I found the nursery, but could not find anyone around so I left a message on their machine. The other place I went to was Cedarwood. I asked him about buying a large quantity and he gave me what he said was his "wholesale" list. I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but when I saw a 3 gallon LC was $15 for the same size I have bought at Home Cheapo for $9.99 recently it did not take me long to get back in the truck. If you find someone that will make it worth the drive up there please let me know. Thanks for the help.

markam70

LawnSite Member
box stores may be cheaper but the quality there is questionable. i would rather pay twice the price from a quality grower who knows their material than buy from a box store who depends on a $7/hr employee to care for their product.