Big Dog or Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C4chris70, Oct 21, 2017.

1. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the market to replace a mower and am having a tough time deciding which mower to go with. I know Hustler makes Big Dog, so I'm not concerned with quality. They look identical side by side other than color and branding. I was trying to stay away from Kwai this time, but that's the only option for the Big Dog. Hustler has the choice of vanguard or kohler, but the cost is about $1500 more. Is the Kwai fx850 (27 hp) a solid engine. Thanks for the input in advance.

2. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm not mistaking big dog has a Kohler efi as well but if it were me I'd go hustler just for the vanguard as long as there's a dealer close by for you.

3. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Senior Member

Be aware that on some models of the Big Dog the decks are thinner gauge steel vs the Hustler brand. That and the available engine is where the cost difference is.

4. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I ended up going with the Hustler with a slight difference. The 52 Big Dog only came with the Kwai option. I ended up purchasing the X1 Hustler 52 inch (no longer 54) with the 29 hp Kohler efi. My dealer of 30 years made me an offer that I could not refuse. Thanks for the input.

5. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

Supposedly Big Dog will have the VX4 deck in 2018. Not sure about engine options.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend that owns and operates two Big Dog Diablo mowers commercially, he has nothing but the highest praise for everything associated with his mowers, and that includes the deck and cut quality. I own and operate both the older Hustler XR-7 and newer VX4 decks, when comparing there are advantages and disadvantages with both.