• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Big oak down

brettmc

Banned
We live on 3 acres beside a 15-acre lake. We have large oak trees all over the property. Katrina blew over one of the shoreline oaks right towards the house, missing it by 6 feet. I've about got the tree cut up. I'm now wondering what to do with the root ball. It's disk-shaped with imbedded clay about 14-16 feet long and about 10-12 feet high. It's farkin HUGE!! How in the heck do I get rid of this monster?

Brett

EDIT: The trunk of this tree is about 36" in diameter at the base.

OP
B

brettmc

Banned
Avery said:
Excavator or bulldozer are about the only realistic options.....
I was afraid of that...

If I go this route, what do I do with the dayum thing after I've freed it?

dvmcmrhp52

LawnSite Platinum Member
brettmc said:
I was afraid of that...

If I go this route, what do I do with the dayum thing after I've freed it?

Find a spot on your 3 acres to hide it, or have it hauled away..............I'd find a place to hide it.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
More than likely a full size skid steer with forks can load it onto a truck and haul it away.

Once you pick it up, shake it with the skid loader to shake the soil off.

start2finish

LawnSite Senior Member
how about a picture of the root ball, size is a big factor here. On the extremely large end a skid steer wouldn't do this, but it is very possible if it's not too big.

Rollacosta

LawnSite Senior Member
If you could get a pressure washer to it you could wash out all the mud and stones then cut it up some more...i'd go with the stumpgrinder ...talk to these guys ,www.arboristsite.com i beleive there are some guys from this site working in the Katrina zone