1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Big oak down

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brettmc, Sep 23, 2005.

1. brettmc

brettmc Banned

We live on 3 acres beside a 15-acre lake. We have large oak trees all over the property. Katrina blew over one of the shoreline oaks right towards the house, missing it by 6 feet. I've about got the tree cut up. I'm now wondering what to do with the root ball. It's disk-shaped with imbedded clay about 14-16 feet long and about 10-12 feet high. It's farkin HUGE!! How in the heck do I get rid of this monster?

Brett

EDIT: The trunk of this tree is about 36" in diameter at the base.

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Excavator or bulldozer are about the only realistic options.....

3. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I was afraid of that...

If I go this route, what do I do with the dayum thing after I've freed it?

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Find a spot on your 3 acres to hide it, or have it hauled away..............I'd find a place to hide it.

5. 66galaxie

66galaxie LawnSite Member

What are you gonna make with all that nice oak? Or will it be used to smoke some Q?

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

More than likely a full size skid steer with forks can load it onto a truck and haul it away.

Once you pick it up, shake it with the skid loader to shake the soil off.

7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

how about a picture of the root ball, size is a big factor here. On the extremely large end a skid steer wouldn't do this, but it is very possible if it's not too big.

8. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

NO NO call in a stump grinder with operator,we often grind up fallen trees/root balls

9. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

If you could get a pressure washer to it you could wash out all the mud and stones then cut it up some more...i'd go with the stumpgrinder ...talk to these guys ,www.arboristsite.com i beleive there are some guys from this site working in the Katrina zone

10. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Ditto's !!
    :)