Big Reseed Job...Big Slope...

tareece

LawnSite Member
Hey business owners....

So BIL put my name out there to a neighbor who has a horrible "contractor" quality yard job in a newish (10yr old) development....

Hed like irrigation, and enriching soil to sustain the new seed that will also be laid.
I will add new top soil and lime with erosion mat to hold the seed to the slope.

the lot is 25000sqft and a killer slope
Its atleast 25ft tall with being even with the 2nd floor gutter level of the houses and drops to ground level within 50 ft. The pics dont do it justice.

So my big thing is how to amend the soil without churning (tilling) it to prevent erosion or mudslide...because that is hard packed North Carolina red clay with no topsoil, and if I till it, even with mat on it, it could slide right into the kitchen (especially with hurricane season approaching, and I really dont want that claim to happen.

I can lime the heck out of it, 2-3 times a year, and over time that helps...
As far as irrigation, he wants coverage for his entire yard from the faucet...and I am thinking of splitting them up into 3 zones,

Slope, Backyard and front yard.... and with a timer allowing no more than 15-20minutes per cycle...maybe twice a day to start.... 7am and again at 3... then in fall switch to 30 minutes per zone once a day...2-3 times a week depending on rainfall.

He got an estimate from another irrigation company but they wont return his calls now due to amount of work... and hes been calling them for 2 months now without a return call....

The liability of the slope eroding due to tilling is a little unnerving and the pressure required to operate the 8-10 heads up that slope might be a bit much..

If I had a hydroseeder and a straw blow truck, thatd be good but still doesnt help improve the soil.

Open to thoughts as far as pricing per sqft, pricing with slope addon (the slope covers almost 10,000sqft).. 90% of the risk and the reward will be that slope....so I figure I would tag a premium percentage onto the proposal due to the severity of the slope..

for instance...if I were to bid 10k on a 25000sqft FLAT property...I would add on a 30% hike due to the slope....so now itd be $13k

Like I said...open to thoughts...

Thanks,
T

Attachments

• IMG_20210618_173547163_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210618_173547163_HDR.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210618_173619432_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210618_173619432_HDR.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 106

clcare2

LawnSite Senior Member
It's just my observation but I believe you are overthinking this. That slope isn't going anywhere. Just topdress some new topsoil and seed it. Honestly I would aerate it, over seed with better seed and get them on a quality fertilizer program.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
Are you an irrigation contractor? I’m just asking because you said from the faucet. If your not just remember you have to be a licensed irrigation contractor here in NC.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
Now for help. I’d top dress with soil admentment run an aerovator or plugger if u had to over it and hydroseed it if not sod. Sod will be the best if erosion is a concern. Hydroseeding is much cheaper and if you do it in the fall you can get a good stand of fescue pretty quick.

OP
tareece

tareece

LawnSite Member
Are you an irrigation contractor? I’m just asking because you said from the faucet. If your not just remember you have to be a licensed irrigation contractor here in NC.
thanks for the info...BIL is licensed plumber...thanks for the heads up

OP
tareece

tareece

LawnSite Member
Yeah thats the way I was leaning
Now for help. I’d top dress with soil admentment run an aerovator or plugger if u had to over it and hydroseed it if not sod. Sod will be the best if erosion is a concern. Hydroseeding is much cheaper and if you do it in the fall you can get a good stand of fescue pretty quick.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
thanks for the info...BIL is licensed plumber...thanks for the heads up
My dad was a pilot but I can’t fly a plane. watch your butt. A contractor in nc recently did a pretty $$ job and upon completion the ho (lawyer who likely knew this going in) didn’t pay him a dime because he wasn’t licensed. If your in the sticks is you can often skirt the licensing but the photos look urban/suburbs so the chances of someone calling you in are higher. Maybe that irrigation contractor that “isn’t calling them back” maybe the ho didn’t like the price for a legit system.

just cover yourself.

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
Need to tap the irrigation in right after the water meter. There's more than 3 zones there. Thin layer of topsoil, hydro seed then straw mat if there's still concern. Don't do any of this now if you're using fescue, wait till late September. Bermuda needs to be done immediately.

Top Forums