Big tex trailer issues

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tilford66, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Tilford66

Tilford66 LawnSite Member

Having an issue with my big tex trailer, and wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. The hinges on my 14lx with 4 foot sides are attached to the door incorrectly and are cracking off rather bad.

The dealer tells me it’s due to us hitting stuff with doors open, which is BS, as they are all peeling back like this.

Also my pins for the door don’t work well.

The hinge isn’t even bent. It’s just broken off the door..

44EF275F-AB36-4713-8003-CC6C1E129326.jpeg

0AFAC064-CE64-4179-A981-63DBD271CFEB.jpeg

AD3B658B-EF9A-4A6D-9D90-08D998C24534.jpeg

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not just big tex our Magnum same......run a big bolt thru it to hold..or take holding device off use bungy to hold it open. Bad design

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

None of the welds failed the steel ripped. That said grind that out and re-weld them in place. I know you hate to see this but metal does fatigue and it helps to have a welder so you can do these minor repairs in house. Its less than an hours worth of work you got there.

hort101 likes this.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Poor design.....weld can't overcome loads put on when gate runs into load being dumped. Re-weld and take holding device off and bungy the door wide open againt the sides.

5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

Saved up for and bought my first bigtex 70LR this year. Within a week paint was peeling off everywhere and was very obvious no primer, one axle was slightly bent when I picked it up didn't think much about it now it's wearing out the inside edge of that tire badly after a few thousand miles. Very very dissatisfied. Will never ever go bigtex again. I bought 100% due to the reputation they supposedly had. Second worst trailer purchase I've made over the years. For over $5k for an open tandem trailer I expect quality. Not crap. I've had issues with the gate, the cage is made of mild flimsy steel. Very poor quality.

6. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Geeeeeeeeeezzz, I came so close to buying one before I bought my current trailer from a local trailer builder here in missouri.
    They build & paint em right there. Stag Trailers.
    Overall I'm happy with what I got, Iv added some things, but paid quite a bit less than the equivalent from BigTex.

20180729_110202.jpg

20180729_104712.jpg

20180729_104632.jpg

7. Tilford66

Tilford66 LawnSite Member

No one else’s had this hinge issue yet?

And correct, it is the trailer steel peeling due to poor design.

8. MCM1

MCM1 LawnSite Member

Stay away from suretrac also their customer service for me was the worst experience I ever had with any purchase. There is no ceo or upper mgt just silent owners. What a joke. Things you don't find out until there are issues.

9. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Member

I have a big Tex 14lx and mines been great. I’ve hauled roadbase above it’s ratings, loading my tractor in it shortly for another project, been great to me. I am the only user of the trailer and I use it / don’t abuse it. Not to say you do at all. Just giving my scenario with it. I believe it’s a great trailer for the money, but not the best trailer. Nicest trailers around here are diamond c and man are those nice.

10. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

I was about to get a diamond c but it was sight unseen and a 4 hr drive away. Wish I would've done that. Same price as the big Tex.