Biggest bid so far

Nacho0601

LawnSite Member
Hey guys sorry for another bid question but just wondering how far off I am on my numbers. I have been presented the opportunity to bid on a 70 unit town home complex with 35 driveways. As for my calculations so far there about 7 acres of grass and with a 3 man crew I am thinking 7-8 hours to mow with all of the trimming. I have included a spring clean up, 26 week mow plan, fall cleanup, 5 fertilizer applications, hedge trimming and plowing. Salting would be included separately. Am I far off when I think it should be about 70,000.00 dollars a year? Thanks for the help and hope you guys are somewhat easy.

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
24 man hours per mow times 26 mows equals 624 hours in mowing alone. I would assume around another hundred hours for trimming a few times a tearif there are a lot of established hedges. 724. Another 50 for a spring and fall cleanup if there are quite a few plants to be cut back. 784. Ok, so 70,000/784=89.29 divided by three for number of workers=29.76 per man hour. Remember that is before ferts and herbicides. I think that's low according to times you gave and I assumed. For 7 acres and three guys and 70 properties you should be able to do it in less time I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

WiseCutLandscapingLLC

LawnSite Member
We don't do plowing on our town home communities but that seems extremely high. I don't know what market your in but in Carolina I would guess about half that price without seeing the property. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
To many variables to tell the truth. One thing, it shouldn't take 3 guys 7-8hrs to mow and trim out 7 acres.

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
We don't do plowing on our town home communities but that seems extremely high. I don't know what market your in but in Carolina I would guess about half that price without seeing the property. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Im in Charlotte just like you, and I do agree that is high, but that is only because of the numbers the OP posted. I really dont think it should take three guys that long to do that amount of work. Without seeing the properties and knowing all of the variables such as number of hedges and what not, I can not come up with a price that I would charge. So if something did take 784 man hours in a year, would you still think that was to high? I wouldnt make any real money at 70,000 per year with that many hours of work, and then the fert and herbicide on top of that.

WiseCutLandscapingLLC

LawnSite Member
Im in Charlotte just like you, and I do agree that is high, but that is only because of the numbers the OP posted. I really dont think it should take three guys that long to do that amount of work. Without seeing the properties and knowing all of the variables such as number of hedges and what not, I can not come up with a price that I would charge. So if something did take 784 man hours in a year, would you still think that was to high? I wouldnt make any real money at 70,000 per year with that many hours of work, and then the fert and herbicide on top of that.
Nope I couldn't make any money either. If you have never done a property like that when you first look at one it seems massive. Then you do it a couple times you realize it's not what you thought. We have town home communities that are only a few acres but the amount of edging and bed trimming are unbelievable. That's the time consuming part.
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Wisecut, I just saw that you were in Harrisburg, Like me. I have probably seen you around. Give me a call sometime and we will get up and bounce some ideas of each other if your interested 704-796-1308

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Nope I couldn't make any money either. If you have never done a property like that when you first look at one it seems massive. Then you do it a couple times you realize it's not what you thought. We have town home communities that are only a few acres but the amount of edging and bed trimming are unbelievable. That's the time consuming part.
Posted via Mobile Device
I havent dont any too large of properties yet, but I am working on developing an excel spreadsheet that will help me to do that better. My employee and I have worked together to time different activities such as edging, trimming, mowing, and blowing. I hope that will really help me when I start to bid on the larger complexes. So far what I have is really close on time

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Hey guys sorry for another bid question but just wondering how far off I am on my numbers. I have been presented the opportunity to bid on a 70 unit town home complex with 35 driveways. As for my calculations so far there about 7 acres of grass and with a 3 man crew I am thinking 7-8 hours to mow with all of the trimming. I have included a spring clean up, 26 week mow plan, fall cleanup, 5 fertilizer applications, hedge trimming and plowing. Salting would be included separately. Am I far off when I think it should be about 70,000.00 dollars a year? Thanks for the help and hope you guys are somewhat easy.
I'm in your market area, have 34 unit place in St Paul, but mostly do work in the north metro. Cut your price in half and you are in the ball park of what it will go for (salt/sand extra, no major plowing besides driveways, some sidewalks). Without seeing it, it is hard to say, but I'm going to guess you are way over on your time (I have a another 34 unit out of the cities on 8 acres and takes 3 guys 1.5 hrs mow, trim, and blow)

If you want to PM a address or post a arial pic of the complex I can give you more info.

Also is this rental townhomes or homeowner owned?

walkerway

LawnSite Member
Trimming, I have to agree is the part thats gonna kill ya. But mowing seven acres is nothing if you got the right equipment. We mow the common areas for an HOA about 11 acres and it takes us 2 or so hours with 2 guys. Theres not a lot of trimming but when we trim it takes an extra hour. (we only trim there every other time) Good luck though, I guess you don't have brickman in your area Or any other cheap assed mexican mower men for that matter. I bid on a 30 acre township park and guess what mexicans mow that for $347 per cut. Thats like $10 an acre. Man there cheap!