1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest mulch job you ever did?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ProStreetCamaro, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I was just wondering what the biggest mulch job any of you guys have ever done. The reason I am asking is because we have a guy that needs roughly 60 yards of mulch for all his beds and we are only a 2 man operation. Me (26) and my father (55) and once in a while my friend (28). We are figuring it would take us about 3-4 full days to do it. You guys ever done a mulch job like this? What would be a rough idea of what you would charge?

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

The most we've ver done was 54 yards. Anything over 30 and we sub it out to a company that blows it in with an express blower. They knocked the whole job out and cleaned up in I think it was 3 hours.. That stuff flies out at like 1 yard a minute. Very efficient.

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

The largest mulch job I've done on my own was about 22 yards, had it done in about a day and a half. If you have 2 people going at it I would think you'll be able to knock that out in 2 days max depending on how far you need to wheelbarrow the mulch and how open the beds are. When I get the wife helping me we can knock out up to about 3.5 yards/hr. I did a 6 yard job solo on Friday in about 3 hours. As far as pricing, I would charge my per yard price for mulch x 60. payup

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummmmmm...........

I've done anywhere from less than a yard to over 200 yards when it comes to mulch jobs.... The 200+ yarder was fun, lemme tell you. Took 7-9 guys a week to do it all, including everything edged BY HAND!

60 yards, right now, we'd probably be looking in the neighborhood of 2 days or so to do it in, if access was good and not a lot of hills to contend with. We might get into a third day for a few hours, but I doubt it would take a full third day unless access was bad or there were hills.

Dan

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Two of us did 50 in 2 days.

Never again, I was useless the next 2 days.

6. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

mulch triple & double ground, red, brown, black cost $ 22/ yd
    express blower $ 19/ yd installed
    i always use express blower......... ~~~ Sell $65 / yd ~~~ $95 /yd

based on 60 yards x 65 installed = 3,900 sell

gross profit ~~~ 1,440 plus you'll need someone to assist

payup :D :cool2: :waving:

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The biggest ones we have are a 230 yarder a 400 yarder and a 360 yarder. It takes 12 guys 3 weeks to do them (including cleanup and edging) The thing that sucks is we have a bark blower, but it is useless on 3/4 of the mulching.

Chris

8. finallyfree

finallyfree LawnSite Member

we did 975 ydrs 2 weeks 8 people 8 hour days, 25 city parking lots and that included spring cleaning :D

9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I did 20 bags from Home Depot once. Does that count?

10. cmorris

cmorris LawnSite Member

We just did a 54 yd mulch job and got it done in 1 full ten hour day with 4 guys. I had the mulch brought in and dumped at the apartment complex. We had one guy run a bobcat and 3 guys scooping the mulch out. You wouldn't beleive how easy this was. I made a 1100.00 profit because of the bobcat. The complex had 6 buildings, easiest thing I have ever done.