Bigtex 70LR 1yr old leaf springs had to replace

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
My bigtex 70lr which I had dreamed of and saved up for from the start has been one of the biggest let downs I've ever purchased. 2 days ago the back passenger side leaf spring snapped, front passenger side was bent as heck. On that side of the trailer I have my 36 stander (700 # maybe) and a 34 compact zero (maybe around the same). 3500# double axles and these leaf springs are supposed to be rated at 3500 each. 4 leaf. I replaced them with 6000# 5 leaf on that side. I may do the other side as well as now I'm about 1/4 lean when empty. But man should this trailer not be built better than this? BigTex has shown me that they build crap. Literally crap. No primer. One axle was slightly bent when I got it. Didn't notice till I pulled it home. These are crap. Or I got an absolute lemon.

groundskeeperllc

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm down in Southwest Louisiana and Big Tex is the biggest brand around here because we have had a huge factory outlet here for years. I've always thought they were poor quality all the way around! They absolutely have one of the worst paint jobs on the market besides TopHat trailers which have no underbody paint. To me right now Diamond C, Lamar, PJ, and Performance, are the top of the market right now as far as quality and they all Powdercoat their trailers! The funny thing is everyone thinks BigTex is the best but if you look at any of their trailers after a few years you'll see the cheapness that they are built. And they are way over priced too compared to others same quality!

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
True but they choose what springs go on them in production. Maybe a spring is a spring is a spring. Don't know if there are better quality springs made with better quality metal... Or they all be made with cheap Chinese metal now.