Billy goat industries introduces game-changing “one & done” aeration

Discussion in 'Sponsor Announcements' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

BILLY GOAT INDUSTRIES INTRODUCES GAME-CHANGING “ONE & DONE” AERATION IN ITS ALL NEW HYDRO DRIVE AERATOR​

Lee’s Summit, Mo.— Billy Goat Industries is pleased to announce its new state of the art hydrostatic drive 30-inch reciprocating aerator, featuring Variable Aeration Density (VAD™), In-Ground Turning and Patent Pending “FLEXTECH™” arms.

Combined 30” wide aeration and speed up to 4.3 mph, the AE1300H completes quarter acre aerations in as little as 15 minutes – that’s 59% faster than 26” drum units. And with its VAD™, the unit creates two to 10 times more holes than drum models in a single pass, offering the ability to do patch repair and seed bed prep in just one pass.

Patent Pending FLEXTECH™ arms provide flexible limb reciprocating action, driving plug depths up to two times that of drums, even in dry soil. Condition or type of soil is a non-issue, so aerations can be completed on schedule, without interruption, saving time and increasing productivity.

For ease of operation, in-ground steering offers unmatched maneuverability – no lifting to make turns so there’s no turf repair and no wear and tear on the operator when compared to drum aerators. Intuitive hydro drive controls allow feathering the speed in both forward and reverse, affording maximized productivity and minimized operator fatigue.

With just 8 tines to service versus up to 42 tines on 26” drum units, downtime and cost is kept at a minimum. And for first-rate durability the AE1300H is powered by a 390 cc Honda engine, Eaton Motor, Hydro-Gear drive and pump, and only two #50 chains for the ultimate in commercial reliability.

For best in class aeration, the AE1300H offers “one pass, one machine, one man crew, one time – no call backs: One & Done Aeration”. See the video at http://www.billygoat.com/AssetGallery/CategoryModal/103

Along with the acquired brand of Plugr® aerators, the new AE1300H completes a comprehensive offering of reciprocating 18-inch, 25-inch and 30-inch widths, creating the premier lineup of commercial reciprocating aerators on the market.

About Billy Goat Industries:
    Billy Goat Industries, Inc. is the premier manufacturer of property cleanup products with a reputation for innovation, productivity and quality. Started in 1967, Billy Goat became independent in 1969. Billy Goat Industries features a complete line of seasonal product solutions for residential, commercial and municipal customers serving rental, contractor and retail markets. www.billygoat.com

AE1300H Beauty 3x3.jpg

2. BleedingGreen

BleedingGreen LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

I for one am glad to see this aerator on the market. As I've said before Lawn Solutions was on to something with their dual hydro walk behind unit. Then to see them bought out by Toro for their designs only for both Toro and Exmark to abandon the whole concept. At least that's what I last heard. It's like the whole machine never happened. Pictures disappeared, dealers know nothing, and the release dates have changed. It seems like most manufacturers are focused on ride on units. Trust me there is a need and a demand for an easy to use walk behind unit. I simply do not aerate because I refuse to run any of the current machines on the market. Unless you are running a ride on unit, everything else beats the hell out of the operator. Yes the ride on units are nice but they have their limits and are simply too big for many applications. Just because a yard won't work for a bigger ride on unit, it doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of sq. ft. I'm not saying this design is going to be a fix all or the perfect walk behind unit but I'd like to see more manufacturers filling this niche. There is a need.

3. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

This is the Wolverine aerator that has been floating around on the site for a while, it looks like a great machine.

4. BleedingGreen

from SE MI

So I have a few questions after what research I've done.

1. How does the unit turn? It has casters and from what I can see from the videos a single lever for forward and a single lever for reverse. Is it safe to assume it's a single hydro type propulsion. So it's kinda either on or off (forward/reverse) and you muscle it to turn? If so this is why I say lawn solutions was onto something with their dual hydro unit. I want to squeeze a lever to turn right and squeeze a lever to turn left. That applies to forward or reverse.

2. What actually engages the tines? Again going by the videos I don't think it's simply by going forward or reverse. Is it that single lever on the right hand side of the machine that appears to lower the tines? Reason I ask is because I can see where this would be a problem if you are in a tight area and/or trying to turn especially if it has a single hydro drive system as asked in question #1. If the tines are constantly on you could potentially pulverize an area until you get the unit turned around or out of that area. Or what if I simply need to stop for a second? I wouldn't want the tines continually pounding the area. For example you find yourself making a mistake or you find an area so full of hard objects that the machine is violently jumping around and you just want to stop aerating. I don't know how easy that would be or if you can even reach down from behind the unit in the operators position to disengage the lever.

3. Is the aeration depth adjustable? If so how hard is it to adjust? There are times where I wouldn't want to be coring at 3" because of underground obstacles. Damage to tree/shrub roots, irrigation lines, invisible dog fence wiring, cable wire, etc. Some of this could be blamed on being improperly installed in the first place but it can and does occur.

I have some other observations that I can see might or might not be an issue, but that is it for now.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Looks like a nice unit, I think most will agree that the Billygoat drum aerators were a flop, Ryan still seems to dominate that market, and as for the reciprocating style the Ryan Lawnaire looked liked a good unit but I have yet to see one in operation by a LCO, however these machines still require a 36" gate and if you live in a suburban area you will know from experience that a 32" gate is more common and even smaller gates at times. However I am sure there is a huge market for this machine, however for me personally the Ryan IV is still the machine of choice due to its narrow footprint. I think Billygoat has a real winner here.

6. mowing4cash

mowing4cash LawnSite Member
    from us

When can we get one?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Walker56 and ericg like this.
  8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting... Those Lawn Solutions 24" hydro's had an even weaker plug pattern than the stander or 21". Instead of 3.5" between each set of tines it was bumped up to 4.0".

The plug pattern was exactly half the amount of plugs pulled per square foot in the true mathematical model of plugs per square foot when compared to the Plugr 800, 850 and 855.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BleedingGreen

from SE MI

Thanks for the info sjessen. That's more than I've heard from any dealer around here. And in response to Exact Rototilling, that would be a poor excuse to scrap the idea if that was what the problem was. Seems like a simple fix to me. Add tines, change the speed at which the tines punch, add a longer cam lobe to increase the depth of the plug pulled, etc.

It was never about how the machine pulls plugs for me. Yes that sounds counter productive but figuring out a design or making changes to pull better plugs isn't that hard. You could make any of the above changes to the lawn solutions/exmark dual hydro machine and achieve that. It's what that machine had that other aerators didn't that made that a game changer.

I CANNOT SCREAM THIS ANY LOUDER. WHAT IS THE ONE THING THAT ALMOST EVERY AERATOR, SOD CUTTER, OVERSEEDER, POWER RAKE HAVE IN COMMON? THEY BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THE OPERATOR BECAUSE OF HOW THEY ARE PROPELLED AND TURN. It seems so simple yet every manufacturer seems to ignore this. They skip right over it and it's like an afterthought on figuring out how to power these machines after it's built. All of these pieces of equipment are running on with ancient technology drive systems. I mean these types of machines have been left in the dust and we are stuck using machines that have been using the same designs for decades. I mean you could use a belt drive system from a walk behind mower from the 90's and it would be far better then anything on the market now. Someone could make a boat load of $$$ if they would just capitalize on this. Even it the equipment is smaller than it's counterparts (walk behind aerator vs. stander aerator) if the walk behind is easy to use it doesn't matter as much if it takes you longer to do the job. There are so many situations where these bigger machines won't work. So we are forced to go with the old school machines that beat the hell out of the operator because that's all that is available to complete these jobs. I mean when you really sit down and think about it, it's the smaller machines that need the maneuverability not the big ones. If you can fit the big machine in the first place you probably have the room to run it.

That's where the Lawn Solutions dual hydro aerator was onto something. Why do you think Toro bought them out? For their designs. And if they scrapped the idea because the couldn't change something to pull better plugs that's pretty sad. It's the small company like Lawn Solutions that saw the need and they would have figured it out. Toro should have left them alone if this is the case. The machines don't even have to look the same, but something simple like every hydro walk behind mower/ztr that has been on the market for the last 20 years (2 wheel motors and 2 pumps) and some casters would be game changing for sod cutters, aerators, overseeders, power rakes, etc. Figure out how to make this cultivation equip do what it is designed to do but MAKE IT EASY TO USE.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting, the video says "no lift" but the front castors are frequently off the ground, especially when turning.

Secondly, these marketing people need to lose the "game changer" term.