Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a billy goat vacuum for leaf removal and other landscaping needs. I was wondering peoples opinions on whether or not these vacuums are worth the money. The one I am interesting in buying is used and priced at $900, new at $1200. Do they really come in that handy?

· Banned
36 Posts
I love mine (Billy goat 5hp w/honda). I work alone and it does a great job on curbside clean-up and cleaning piles of leaves in smaller areas like back yards that you can;t get anyting into besides a rake and tarp.

· Registered
207 Posts
I bought the Billygoat 18hp loader this season. I don't do a lot of cleanups, but enough that I hate them. That thing is awesome. Dry leaves, wet leaves, even some small sticks, they all get sucked up and shot into the trailer! Getting the leaves to the loader is still a hassle - big blower and tarps with rakes are still needed - but getting them into the trailer is easy as anything. We just did a cleanup last week. Last season we spent 2.5 days and made 6 trips to the dump to get rid of all the leaves; this season - 1 day, 1 dump trip!

· Registered
511 Posts
Loaders will also grind up most leaves so you can get more in the truck or trailer. I can usually get 4 or 5 times the leaves (or more) with the loader instead of loading by hand or tarp. But the bigger the horse power the better the loader. My 18hp does more than three times the work than my 11hp did.

· Registered
207 Posts
I forgot to mention in my earlier post...you will quickly learn to despise that dam% suction hose! That thing is so gangly and hard to maneuver with the metal swing arm and handles on it. I swear every time I have to take it off and load it on the truck or trailer!!!

· Registered
2,646 Posts
i bought a used one a few weeks ago for $150. its 3 years and and it runs like its bran new. def. worth the money!

· Registered
41 Posts
I purchased a billy goat with honda engine this spring...has optional hose and chipper for small branches (1"). I find it has come in quite handy and works very well. It is also self-propelled, but goes pretty slow as there is only one speed. So, I push it around until it starts to fill up, then use the self propelled feature. If leaves are heavy the bag does fill up fast, and I find I spend more time emptying the bag than vacuuming. However, for large jobs, cleaning up along curbs at subdivision entryways quite useful. As somone else commented, for smaller jobs it may be just as easy and quick to blow and rake. Cost new was $1,800.

· Registered
207 Posts
Actually, the vacuum I have is a lawn vacuum...there is a billy goat for drives and parking lots.

My BG is very hard to start...I would suggest the electric start.
The Grasshopper
I'll second that. Its actually not bad to start the first time, but once it warms up, it is a struggle to start back up - extremely frustrating - why would you put a Briggs engine on a commercial piece of equipment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.