BillyGoat vs Ryan (SOD CUTTERS)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LizardLawnCare, Sep 30, 2004.

1. LizardLawnCare

LizardLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am reseeding my back yard and have to get the garbage grass out. I have decided to cut it out using a sod cutter. There are a couple of place locally that rent Ryan's and 1 place that is a bit of a drive that rents a BillyGoat.

Has anyone used both? It looks like the BillyGoat would be the easier to use.

Anyone that could shed some light, please do.

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only used Brower & Ryan. I purchased a ryan Jr. sod cutter. Love the machine, actually very simple to use. I can strip out at least 100 sq ft/min. Of course all of the time is spent loading it in the truck.

3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a couple of different ones, mostly the Ryan and a Bluebird. The Ryan is easy to transport as it has its own trailer. Works good for small jobs. Things I don't like about it are no reverse, odd engagement levers, and it will beat the crap out of you after 15 minutes of use. I stripped 7000 feet the other day and my hands felt like they had been beat with a ball bat for 2 days. ;) Also, would auto shut of on not sp steep sidehills.
    The Bluebird is bulkier, and has a harder time staying straight. Four wheel drive makes working on hillsides easier, has a reverse and all controls are at the handle. Eats vibration better but you can't just spin it 180 like the Ryan. I do like the Bluebird better though.