1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Black out lines

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by viper881, Aug 28, 2012.

1. viper881

viper881 LawnSite Member

What do u use to black out old lines cause they are changing the line layout?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

black out paint or sealcoat.

3. pgrzes

pgrzes LawnSite Member

Blackout paint, then sealcoat, then restripe. If you just seal and restripe the old lines will be back quickly!!!

4. SealMeNow

SealMeNow LawnSite Member

I know this is an old thread, but Im thinking of getting into Line Painting.

I have a lot to sealcoat and restripe exactly the same lines, will they be visible after i seal the asphalt so I can just restripe exactly over the old lines?

thanks

5. Nick508

Nick508 LawnSite Member

I'm no expert striper but I would say no... I just did a commercial job today believe it or not, finished it yesterday(sealcoating) and striped today . I was hoping I could use the old stripes as a guideline but I couldn't see them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 LawnSite Member

Yes unless the lines are really faded and then they'll be hard to see..what I do is take gorilla tape and tape the end of the outer lines and a few in the middle, pull the tape up now you know where the ends are just run a chalk line or measuring line and mark the remainder lines...also if the lines run up to a curb or sidewalk I mark the left side of each line with chalk on the curb.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. joeE

joeE LawnSite Senior Member

ditto, i sometimes use tape w/corner folded (4 quick p u) on both ends (if no crb). u will learn 2 c a texture
    change, line is smother most times, angle of view matters at times. u will know b 4 u seal by texture change, thickness & #of coat(s). use tape at first, way faster than new layout.

8. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 LawnSite Member

Angle of view as well as day light (cloudy or sunny, the angle of the sun)
    Posted via Mobile Device