1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Blade edger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CJ's Mowing Service, Feb 18, 2020.

1. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for some feedback. I haven’t had a lot of luck with my Echo 225 edger. Several broken triggers, loose “safety” on top, and hasn’t been running very well, not very old either. Did I get a lemon or is this the norm?

Having said that, how does it compare with the Stihl? Looked at a FC-56, has more power, but will it hold up for heavy use? I don’t use it on every property, but want to use one more often.

Robert Stadler, Cam15 and New mike like this.
  2. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I would invest in a more commercial model whether it be stihl or echo.

CJ's Mowing Service and Cam15 like this.
  3. Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag. LawnSite Member

You can find a good deal on a commercial one via Facebook or Craigslist. The FC 56 isn't meant for all day everyday work but will get the job done for a bit if you don't use it alot.
    A fresh clean edge goes a long way with my customers and separating you from the competition, if you can edge more of your yards go for it. Good luck!!

Brucey and Cam15 like this.
  4. Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

If I was you, I would look at the Kombi system. I use an old KM90R with the edger regularly but also have the trimmer and other attachments for it

Crazy 4 grass and Brucey like this.
  5. NYLawns50$$

NYLawns50$$ LawnSite Member

2nd on the kombi. Grabbed a 131r this year for my main edger and back up trimmer. Ended up grabbing the pole saw, extension, and hedge trimmer too. Love that thing.

6. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Echo PAS-2620, has plenty of power. The edger attachment is one of my next equipment purchases.

Mark Oomkes and petscanning like this.
  7. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

I edge everything. Once you get used to it it is so much faster, and better looking than a weedeater. Like said above, this will help separate you from the competition. I have gained about six residential yards this season already cause people were fed up with who they had.

Back on topic. Your Echo is an apparent lemon. Get it repaired under warranty. Echo, Stihl, Redmax, Maruyama, all the heavy hitters should hold up better than you're reporting. I have stuff from fifteen to twenty years old that still works fine. And don't be afraid to tinker. I have found more ways to fix stuff by tinkering over the years. One reason I get good life out of my two stroke equipment is I learned how to richen up the mixture on these EPA carbs that are supposedly non adjustable. You don't go overboard, just slightly, watch you plug color...

8. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely use a edger. Buy a 2620 or a Kombi with attachment. Unless you run a crew dedicating a lot of bucks to something you hardly use is t worth it. I just keep my attachment with me just in case

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  9. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

Yikes.
    I just bought a brown edger for use at a condo we picked up, it's been great.
    I also have a redmax edger

10. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

I read though the comments but what I did not see.

how old is the 225? How are you securing it/mounting it? Only time I see trigger issues is when someone hangs it on the racks wrong.

we own about 30 - 225 models. They are not the best, but they are very economic to buy, replace and repair. They also have a low fuel burn. How long are you expecting it to last ? We get two seasons on average. $168 , divided by 2 years is $84 per year. And then after year two, it’s good enough to keep for spare parts. You can buy more heavy duty models but then your at a higher cost per year unless you can get more seasons out of them. Light weight is also a big plus.