1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blade engagement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerbrad, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Today while mowing my blades would often times take quite a while to engage. For the first part of the day everything engaged fine but after just a few lawns it would sometimes take 10 seconds or more just for the blades to engage after I pulled up the switch. Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

take your cover off and check your blade belt. it could be worn.

3. mowerbrad

I looked at the belt, it looked fine to me, there were no cuts in it or anything that would show signs of wear. I just can't figure it out, as soon as I engage the PTO nothing happens for a while.

4. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Probably got some grease on the belt during maintenance.

5. vanderbilt

vanderbilt LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

You might try checking your clutch clearance. Mine did that and I had to adjust the clearance tighter.

6. grassleg

grassleg LawnSite Member

on our exmarks thats usually a sign of the pto clutch is on the way out.:S

7. mowerbrad

How much does a new pto clutch cost???

8. timkim1515

timkim1515 LawnSite Member

This sounds just like what happened to me and my JD 48" WB... It was the PTO clutch going bad/failure. Cost about 200-300 to fix.

9. mowerbrad

Since i can't have that mower in the shop for too long how long does it take to repalce the pto clutch?

10. Shaded Green

Shaded Green LawnSite Member

Do it yourself. Easy Fix. I've done it before, so I am able to replace a clutch in less than 1/2 hour........ My first time, maybe an hour.

If you refuse to do so, then your relationship with your dealer decides the amount of down time.