1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Blade Grinder Wheel Replacement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Oct 24, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Magna-Matic 9000 and it's getting real close to replacing the grinding wheel soon. I've checked Northern Tool and the local huge Farm Supply store but nobody carries a 7" wheel, much less the exact one I need. Anyone else had any luck on this?

Also, I remember someone talking about using a different grit wheel on a blade sharpener for better performance. Any comments on that as well would be appreciated.:)

2. Bear's Total Works

Bear's Total Works LawnSite Member

just swop to a 4" grinder there easyier to sharpen blades with

3. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

This guy never used the magna matic....... I have the 9000 also. Call magna matic or go to thier website.

4. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I think they designed the magn-matic to use proprietary discs, and I think they also claim to have the proper grit you need for the best job possible with their grinders. Looks like you'll have to order one from magn-matic. How long would you say that disc lasted you? How often did you sharpen with it?

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Get the right one from Magna-Matic.Cheap wheels burn and build heat. Do some checking on the norton abrasives site. Its good info.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Contact Grainger. They have a website.

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Do a search for the thread under blade ginders. This link might help with the wheel

http://www.pacificgrindingwheel.com/

ericg likes this.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

it's a no-brainer, just contact Magna Matic

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I went to Grainger's site but found nothing. I was hoping to find an equivalent or better for a better price; especially if I could buy a case or so.

I did go ahead and order from Magna-Matic. Then they sent me an email stating the order won't go out until next week. It seems everyone at the Magna-Matic plant is in Louisville right now.:mad:

10. MOWPART_SCOTT

MOWPART_SCOTT LawnSite Member

Looks like Stens makes a 7x1 5/8 hole red ruby grinding stone. Im not sure at all about the magna-matic but I would think if the specs match up? Would the wheel still work? Stens has Fine (blk),Med.(Red),Course(Red). All in the 7x1 5/8bore. I'm not Sure if this will help you or not? If so, I can help you more if needed.