Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to sharpen blades? I have been useing a regular 8 inch bench grinderit works well I get a nice cut but the edge always comes out a little wavey. I may buy an actual blade grinder from Landscape Supply about 300 dollars. What do you think are the bench grinders as good as the actual blade grinder? Any oppenions are appreciated. Thanks Jack

·
Registered
150 Posts
... Magnamatics are the best, but you can get good results with a bastard file or a hand or bench grinder if you have the patience and the time.

Get a good balancer, not that garbage that was shown in the familyhandyman link.

·
Registered
76 Posts
did somebody say bastard file....lol? well you just watch it mister or I'll pul out my half bastard and round bastard files on you!

I always get a kick out of word bastard files. Does anybody know why they call files bastards? Was it the persons name that invented the file?
Or just a scruffy foul mouthed mechanic who came up with the term. Come to think of it they always say bastard when they pinch there fingers.

Dan.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Lesco has a bench grinder, I bought about 4 years ago, never gave me any trouble. It also gives the proper angel. I think it was around $350-$400 when I bought it. Bench grinders are ok, but you probably not getting the right angel. which makes all the difference.

I would say look around and find a blade sharpener that fits your needs. good luck

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thats a nice set up. I was thinking of making something like that. I figure if i have a brand new blade it will be at the right angle so all i would have to do is measure the angle and make a blade rest at the same angle. I could double check the angle with the new blade and every thing should be perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
4" hand grinder works great, even repair shops around me doing it with regular grinder, no magic behind them doors. send me the 3-5 hundred dollars if you have nothing better to spend it on.:cool:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by mow2nd
I'm I the only person with a Nail in the wall and uses that to balance my blades?
I'm not much further ahead with the cone with the nail under it. I see no reason to spend so much time and money worrying about something that's gonna be beat to heck after a few hours. If the blade doesn't tilt all the way down and touch the work bench....close enough for me. If I had an extra $500 to spend...I don't think it'd be on a dedicated blade sharpener, but then again...I don't have an extra $500 lying around at this point. LOL

·
Founder
629 Posts
Originally posted by fullburn
4" hand grinder works great, even repair shops around me doing it with regular grinder, no magic behind them doors. send me the 3-5 hundred dollars if you have nothing better to spend it on.:cool:
On the higher sider of $500 ... I think the Mag-9000 retails for $580 ... Nothing better to spend it on? Some would consider that the best $580 they could invest into their company.

Many LCO's don't have the time to do it the unproductive way. I can see from your profile and your most-recent posts you have lots to learn about this business ... Do yourself a favor and read up on past discussions about the magna-matic product....

Here are a few to browse through...
Magna-Matic Discussions.....

In years past... some of the most hard headed lawnsite members have tried to justify NOT buying a magna-matic and they have all given in to simple FACTS.. time = money , ... not to mention the quality a truly sharp and perfectly balanced blade helps the bottom line.

If you can't justify a $580 Magna-Matic because of $ issues,.. then that will give you something to save for.

·
Founder
629 Posts
Originally posted by Scraper
I'm not much further ahead with the cone with the nail under it. I see no reason to spend so much time and money worrying about something that's gonna be beat to heck after a few hours. If the blade doesn't tilt all the way down and touch the work bench....close enough for me. If I had an extra $500 to spend...I don't think it'd be on a dedicated blade sharpener, but then again...I don't have an extra $500 lying around at this point. LOL
If you had a Magna-Matic dedicated sharpener you would have that extra $500 lying around. Imagine all the extra time you spend hacking on your blades with a grinder.

" I see no reason to spend so much time and money worrying about something that's gonna be beat to heck after a few hours."

If you had balanced blades they would not get beat to heck so bad under your deck. also... I think worrying about such a crucial part of your productivity and finished look is very important. IMO

:) :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.