Blade Height Adjustment Quandary on 2015 Gravely Pro-Stance

OP
T

The Swamp Fox

LawnSite Member
I appreciate the time everyone who has replied thus far has taken to weigh in and help me sort this out. I've also had members such as @fatboynormmie PM me directly with offers of assistance. It's people like you guys that make this forum what it is!

Now for an update. In the time that has passed since my last post, I contacted Gravely Support directly regarding the blade height adjustment process as listed in the Owner's Manual. I actually linked them directly to this thread for sake of referencing the before/after photos of my attempts at deck height adjustment.

Their response confirmed that the manual does indeed have a misprint:

"Thank you for contacting Ariens Company in regards to your product manual instructions. I apologize, but it appears that the instructions for which way to turn adjustment bolt for height adjustment of deck are opposite of what they should be. Once the jam nuts are loosened, turning the adjustment bolt counterclockwise will lower the deck and turning it clockwise will raise the deck. I will be reviewing the information in other manuals and forwarding this onto our publication writer."

If nothing else, it's good to know that I'm NOT crazy. This confirms that I do indeed have the deck adjustment maxed out to the high side and that there is indeed a problem since I'm still 1/2" or so from my HOC setting.

Now as to why the height doesn't correspond exactly?.... Go to page #34 in the manual and read section "HOC Indicator Adjustment". Is that set correctly? If so, then like you spotted, maybe your tires are sized incorrectly?
Good call. However, I did indeed check and adjust this upon first taking possession of the mower. I double and triple-checked it while struggling with the deck offset from my HOC selection, and can indeed confirm that the cam is bottomed out at the 1.5" setting.

That leaves me with my long shot of extreme front caster wear being my culprit. Online research indicated that most 13" front casters do indeed measure in with an O.D. in the 12.8-13" range when mounted. I couldn't find the actual specs on Carlisle Reliance 13x6.50-6/4.50 semi-pneumatics online, but Carlisle lists the mounted O.D. of their pneumatic casters of the same size as being 12.9".

Some searching here on the forums turned up a thread specific to Carlisle Reliance 13" semi-pneumatics. I asked the OP what his new casters measured in at and his response put them at about 12.5" or so. That would make them 1/2" to 3/4" taller than my current casters, making extreme front caster wear the most likely cause of my problem.

I will report back here with before/after pics comparing the size and O.D. of new casters once I obtain them, as well as an illustration of how much it changes my blade height.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
1596194192045.png

You have these two at their lowest setting you can adjust these also

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
You can move the deck up do to the slots and gain your 1/2 inch

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Does yours have on the height selector two heights, with a 1 inch difference on whether or not you are using the spacer washer? My 2016 36" prostance does. Just curious.

Top Forums