1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Blade Life.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayinKs, Apr 8, 2020.

1. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Senior Member

Took my blades off today to throw on a fresh set. It's amazing how much debris the scag deck lifts up. I'm not getting the life out of blades with the scag I used to get with the Gravely. The sails on my gravely blades looked as good as new after 60hrs. This is roughly 60hrs on this set from the scag. I know the types of properties can make all the difference in blade life as well as geographically. After experiencing this I'm wondering at how many hours I will begin to see the deck thinning in areas.[​IMG]

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

IF we don't bend a set, I usually get 500-600 hrs. out of a set. I only sharpen mine once a week at random.
    I usually only replace blades because they are bent not because they are in the shape yours are in.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JayinKs

So your saying yours can be in the same shape but you run them? I'm scared of a piece of the sail flying off and causing harm at the stage mine are at.

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

No after 500+ hours mine look WAY better then yours. When I throw mine out they don't look nearly as bad as yours. We have no sand so very little blade wear. I will usually rotate between maybe 2 sets of blades for 3-4 years.

5. OP
    OP
    JayinKs

Ok, I see. Yeah, if I had all nice fescue yards I know I could get more out of them but some of my yards are very sparse and it just kicks up tons of dirt and dust. No sand here in Kansas but just hot, dry dusty conditions in summer.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Blades can look like that even if you don't have sandy soil depending on the type of turf you cut, meaning a lot of very thick lawns, a lot more that are sparsely covered on average etc. Sandy or not, blades will left particles and wear blades a lot faster in lawns where the grass tends to be average to thin vs sod type lawns.

7. OP
    OP
    JayinKs

Ridin, a lot of my yards are sparse. Enough grass that you need to go over it but it stirs up a lot of dust and dirt.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Well there ya go. Exactly the type of lawns I was referring to that can cause that type of wear. Blades that see mainly sodded type lawns can last almost indefinitely if taken care of.

9. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

I throw out my blades because I have sharpened back the cutting edge to far, not because the sail has any damage.

10. OP
    OP
    JayinKs

Yeah, I used to be able to do the with my old gravely. The difference in the decks. is key.