1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Blade Sharpening vs New Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Babbages01, May 24, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 4 sets of blades that I rotate as needed. Sometimes once a week sometimes twice. I can get a couple good seasons out of them. My blade sharpener is set up at 30 degrees per Oregon specs. I have heard in sandy areas blades wear really quick.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

I mow 5 acres about every 5-6 days on my property. Mostly tall fescue but some weeds and a "wild" grass - forget what you call it. I've read here that operators are sharpening blades every 8 hours or so. How many hours of mowing should I do before sharpening? The mower is new but started out mowing some property that had gotten behind and was pretty tall. The mower is a Ferris IS3100Z.

I have an extra set of blades so can drop a set off at the dealer and keep ready. Have not learned how to sharpen them myself yet so feel better having someone do it that does a lot of them.

3. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello,

Use the 8-12 hour range. The hour meter on the mower is an easy way to check it.

4. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

blades need to be done daily, how do you ever get done doing it every other week??

5. farmmower

If he's only doing 3-4 hrs 4x a week wouldn't once a week be ok? How are you guys sharpening? Removing blades every day or sharpening with angle grinder on the machine. My local dealer wants $28 to sharpen my 3 blades (I remove them) on the Ferris but I'm only mowing my 5 acres, 3 hrs. per week and plan to go with Magna recommendation of 8-12 hours.

6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I sharpen new blades before even putting them on a mower. Your lucky if 1-10 new blades come balanced already.

7. farmmower

What method do you use to balance and sharpen. I have set of new blades to be put on shortly but they seem to be sharp - do not have a balance device yet.

8. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

9. farmmower

I know Gerd, looks like a great product but still trying to justify $1100 for the Lot 3, 9000 service system. Would take me 4 years to make it worth it as I'm not a commercial operator. Just my 5+ acres.

10. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

ok, but not ideal, yes they come off everyday, takes less than 5 minutes per machine, but i do have five sets for each mower, so i sharpen on sundays and have a set for each day that week.