Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone sharpen their own blades? Are there any key things to practice when sharpening your blades to ensure longer life/better cut when doing it? I was just wondering if there was anything special I need to consider when taking the blade to my grinder.

Also, what is the recommended interval (in hours) that most of you practice for sharpening your blades?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
You will find several post on this if you use the search funtion. I know you have got to be careful and not get the blade too hot because the metal is tempered. I would suggest using a good hand file instead unless you put alot of hours on your mower. Im sure there will be more post to help you out. Alot of guys like a hand grinder better.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
One my tips 'n hints:

I sharpen mine once over, then balance check, then over again. That's it!
Sometimes a rock or other obstacles makes a burr or nick in the blade: IF the above technique gets the burr out, GREAT! If it doesn't, then the burr has to work itself out over time: To me, it doesn't make sense to shave off a bunch of steel on one side just to take out a nick - Now I have to shave the other side to restore the balance and do this enough times for burrs + nicks and you considerably shorten the useful lifespan of the blades.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Longer life for your blade! forget the grinder,remember the file! sharpen and take very little off the blade tip.clean the blade,with soap and water, and balance!I sharpen every 10 to 15 hr,or when needed!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I use a Neary rotary blade grinder, model number 440.
I average two years of operational use per blade, unless the blade has been damaged/bent.
I change out blades every eight hours of mowing time, usually three times per week for nine months of the year.
The time necessary to sharpen the blades is roughly equal to the time necessary to lift the mower for access to the blades.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
befnme said:
i Get 2 Weeks Of Service Out Of Every Set Of Blades That Is $48.00 Per Mower Every 2 Weeks .ouch!!!!
2 WEEKS??? Are you mowing on a beach? Roughly half of my lawns I mow, about 30 lawns, are sand to sand/loam base and I can get at least half a season out of a set of blades. I also catch everything, mowing around a million sq. ft. of turf a week.

Hand file... May be the best way, but how long does that take to do a set of 3?

I use a 4.5" angle grinder and have built a cool rack to hold the blade at the right height and at an angle to make sharpening EASY. I sharpen about 3 times a week for the Z. They are not really "dull" but you certianly couldn't cut your finger with the edge, time to sharpen!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jason Rose said:
I use a 4.5" angle grinder and have built a cool rack to hold the blade at the right height and at an angle to make sharpening EASY. I sharpen about 3 times a week for the Z. They are not really "dull" but you certainly couldn't cut your finger with the edge, time to sharpen!
I'm Trying to use a angle grinder also, it is a lot easier for me than a bench grinder. I can keep the angle better. But I am curious about the disk. I am using the metal grinding/cutting disk that came with the grinder. But I wonder if something less harsh would be better. Problem is I haven't really seen a less abrasive disk (not really sure how they are rated). Also Jason,do you have a photos showing how you are grinding those blades?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
I have used a "layered sanding disk" for years. They are much finer, I think mine are 60 or 80 grit. However if you need to take off more metal for really dull blades then use a regular hard wheel. The sanding disks can heat up a blade pretty fast if you have to use it very long on there. The razor sharp edge is pretty cool though.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
befnme said:
i Get 2 Weeks Of Service Out Of Every Set Of Blades That Is $48.00 Per Mower Every 2 Weeks .ouch!!!!
Thats about what I get also, maybe up to a month for a set. but I have in rotation about 5-6 sets of blades for the 60"
Here is a pic of how they wear in sandy conditions, a couple of these blades are my clean-up blades, low lifts, and the lift part is completely worn down. The second pic has 2 low lift blades.

Wood Natural material Road surface Twig Metal

Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Auto part

·
Registered
345 Posts
nriddle - the appropriate hand file is called a "mill bastard file".
they are flat, about 12" long and 1" wide, with a diagonal groove pattern.

I use a bench grinder. I also have an angle grinder and sometimes use it, but have not yet quite got the feel for it. I'm sure that hand files can work very well and can give just as sharp of an edge, but if the blades are pretty dull to start with, it can be a lot of work and take some time. That 's why you would need to sharpen more often with the hand file. And yeah, the bench grinders and angle grinders may tend to take off a bit more metal and thus reduce life of blades. Worth it to me though, for the speed (takes a few seconds to sharpen a blade).

I do carry a file with me and I use it quite often for sharpening up hand-held hedge shears (razor sharp in a few strokes), and sometimes loppers, pruners, grass shears, and shovels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.