• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

blade sharpening

davidcalhoun

LawnSite Bronze Member
Depending on your conditions, 8 to 12 (actual mowing) hours. The newer Fusion blades may go longer (I have no experiance with them yet).

Keep and extra set with you to change in the field if needed.

Magnum Services

LawnSite Member
Every week I sharpen blades and switchout the dull ones.I have two sets of gator mulching blades and two sets of magnum blades .

grass_cuttin_fool

LawnSite Gold Member
I usually change blades about every 8-10 hours or every other day of mowing, but that can depend on the grass or if I hit a rock or something.

Eclipse

LawnSite Bronze Member
Usually every other day depending on conditions. I also always carry an extra set in case you need to change them mid-day for some reason.

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
the way I was taught was when the grass tops look torn instead of cut it's time to sharpen....

if you notice weeds are a lot tougher than grass. you may get only 1 cut if you mow a field that has several weeds, than if you did several homes..

Wells

LawnSite Member
All blades get sharpened weekly. I tried doing it daily for a while but found that I couldn't keep up with that schedule.

Green-Pro

LawnSite Bronze Member
Wells said:
All blades get sharpened weekly. I tried doing it daily for a while but found that I couldn't keep up with that schedule.
Amen to that sentiment!!!