1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OSU 09, Jul 23, 2008.

1. OSU 09

OSU 09 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

How do you guys handle sharpning your blades? Do you have a blade grinder or just use a hand or bench grinder? We just use a bench grinder. Is a blade grinder much better? Is it worth the investment?

2. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

4.5 inch drinder with a flap disc. then file the tip

3. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Dremel tool. They make a guide to fit lawnmower blades, it comes with a stone and keeps the edge at the right angle.

4. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Magna-Matic 9000 A little pricey, but does a great job and quick with no burning.

5. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a craftsman angle grinder with a 4 in. wheel, it puts a nice longer sloping edge on rather than the short, steep edge I was getting with the bench grinder. Works ALOT faster too.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Magna matic for us........:weightlifter:

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I like using my angle grinder with a flap disc. It is fast and there is no heat buildup that could occur using a bench grinder.

I do have a dedicated grinder (homemade) and belt sanders which work OK. But overall the angle grinder is my preference.

Nosmo

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You really don't want a shallow cutting edge, it will dull faster. A steeper pitch on the cutting edge of the blade will last longer and stay sharper then a shallow edge. Just so you know.....

9. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use a bench grinder and always have...

10. brandtb1

brandtb1 LawnSite Member

I use my bench grinder. I try to get a steep edge on the blades