Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a 36" mower with 2 blades (mulching). I sharpen the blades nearly every day, probably 3 times a week while cutting 35 lawns, mostly small to medium sized. I talked to a guy the other day who works for a huge company and they only sharpen the 48" about once a week, if that. Am i nuts, or just giving everyone a good cut.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I sharpen once every 8-10 hours. If I work a full day (8-10) hours a day, then I change the blades. If I only work a half day (4-5 hours), I will stretch those blades until the end of the next day. At the most, I usually have 12 hours on a set of blades!!! At that time, It's time to change them.
-Cary

·
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
4,830 Posts
Dull blades will shorten the grass, but it also damages the tips of the grass and splits the ends of the grass, which in turn makes the grass tips brown.

We put on sharp blades every day and our lawns always look greener than our competitions lawns. You can see an exact lot line when one is cut with sharp blades and the other is cut with dull blades. Dull blades don't cut the grass, they just beat it to death. Try shaving with a dull razer blade and see how you like it.

Maybe this is one reason some of you say you can't cut a lawn while mowing fast. If I used dull blades, I couldn't cut fast either. I carry extra blades just in case they happen to dull up faster one day than they normally do. I feel the blade, if I don't feel it could cut my finger, it is time to change them.

·
Registered
675 Posts
In a ideal location, no rocks, dirt, mulch, sticks, etc... just mowing grass, I will go about 6-8 hours before changing to sharp blades. Most of the time I go about 4-6. So I change halfway through the day and again at days end so I am ready for next time out.

Sharp blades make all the difference in the world!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You mean you throw out a set of blades when you get 12 hours on them? Or did you mean it was time to sharpen them? You confused me (not too hard), if you throw them out after 12 hours send them to me if they fit one of mine! I'll sharpen them till they can't be sharpened no more!
When I bought my 72 there seemed to have been a blade shortage, everything was back ordered, I had 98 hours on the mower when I finally got a new set. I think I still have them somewhere.........sharpen till the lifts start to wear, then trash them.

[Edited by HOMER on 01-23-2001 at 06:17 PM]

·
4,830 Posts
We change them on the job and I never use an impact wrench on spindle bolts. We just pull one wheel up on the tailgate of the trailer and let the other part of the machine hang over the side and set the brake and put a chalk block behind the tires. Works great.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I still like a little body to the edge.That way long
as i dont hit something about three days of clean cutting.
By the way if you want the blades to be easier to
remove,middle of day etc.Get a product called antisieze
and coat the threads.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Homer,
Did I say throw them out??? When I say change the blades, that means change them to a new sharpened set, not a brand new set!! I'll try to be a little more careful next time!! Ya'll in Jawguh get confused easily!!!LOL
Cary

·
Registered
773 Posts
I take a Jungle Jack with me everyday in case I have to change the blades.

I've never kept a blade long enough to see the 'lifts' wear, so I must be replacing mine too soon. I usually replaced them when I felt the edge had been worn back too much. I mean, I can still sharpen all those old blades, but the wear back won't effect my cut?

If that's the case, I've already got my next several sets of blades w/o spending another dime. ;)

-TGC

·
4,830 Posts
TGCummings;

If you use double blades, an older blade makes a good top blade. They don't have to be fancy since all they do is chop up the clippings more and they don't have to be sharpened each day either. We sharpen the top one about once a week, but in the spring when it's growing like crazy, we change the top blade about every two days, and the bottom blade each day or as necessary.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks HOMER! That was my assumption, but now I know for sure!

When the front of the blade gets worn/sharpened to the point that there is nothing left but the begining of the lift angle, toss the blade.

Am I right?

·
Registered
773 Posts
During the cold season, I only use single blades since I'm not cutting enough growth to make a difference, and it's easier to change the single blades.

The storm door opened this week around here finally, so the lawns will be growing around here again real soon. Once they do, I'll go back to the double setup and use your scheduling, Eric, and cut lawns as purty as you do. ;)

-TGC

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
CST51...........confused? :confused:

Heart of Dixie= ALABAMA
Ya, we get confused here too.............. sometimes.

As expensive as blades are yes, I use them till I can't use them anymore! Re-sharpen as long as you can get a decent edge on them or until the back area of the blade shows signs of wear or "thins" out. I have run them a little too long and had pieces mising! (OOPS)

Sharp blades are real important down here in the land of confusion cause we got that thar bu hey er grass. Shucks Billy Bob, if'n you ain't got sharp un's yous ain'ta cuttin' nuthun ure jes nokkin it down!

·
420 Posts
I use the same method for changing blades out on the job as Eric does, except I use a socket and 18" breaker bar. This is the same way I change them out when I am at the house servicing the mower. I used to use an impact wrench on the spindles, but soon found out it is not necessary. If the blade encounters any obstacle while mowing it will actually tighten the bolt up more, not loosen it. I sharpen my blades about every other day, since I am only cutting part-time, but I always have a spare set of sharp blades in the truck just in case I see the need to change them on the job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.