1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

blade sharpenng, again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Aug 23, 2000.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found a crude but effective way of putting a razor edge on my blades at the correct factory angle if anyone is interested.Best of all it's cheap!

2. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

Well tj lets hear it , don't keep us waiting any longer

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Post it !!!

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

One more blade sharpening post and we gonna have the administrator kick some azz

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a bench grinder at home depot to start. It was $40.00. I then bought a magnetic angle finder for $10.00. I then bought a piece of 1 1/2 inch alum stock about 1/8 inch thick.It was a few dollars I think. I cut two pieces of 2x4 to about 12" long and nailed them together. I then cut a piece of alum to about 6". I bent it in my vise till it was about 35 degrees. I mounted it to the 2x4's.Then I cut a small piece of alum and bolted it in a cross position on my angled piece of alum so the blade can sit there. I played around with it until I was able to get a 35 degree angle on my blade. Now all I do is sit the blade on the rest, clamp it down with a 2" c-clamp and move the 2x4's back and forth across the grinder. It works great. I'm sorry I am not very mech inclined so I hope I described this ok.I hope this helps.