Blade terms

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BigDave, May 24, 2004.

  1. BigDave

    BigDave LawnSite Member
    Messages: 148

    Hi all,

    I keep hearing these terms when referring to blades:

    "notched high lift"

    "solid foil"

    What do these terms mean? Thanks!
  2. soilsample

    soilsample LawnSite Member
    Messages: 19

    Big Dave

    the "foil" of a mower blade is the part that is turned up near the end.
    This foil acts similarly to a fan's blade causing positive/negative pressure which helps to stand the grass up when cutting.

    a "notched foil" can be sold under different brand names such as Gator Blade..... on these blades the foil has a serrated upper edge which helps mulch clippings.

    The pictures from another thread shows the "foil" clearly
  3. dvmcmrhp52

    dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.
    Messages: 4,205

    A notched foil is not necessarily a gator type blade.
    A notched foil has just that,a notch at the end of the foil rather than being a "solid foil" which has no notch.

Share This Page