• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Blades After 20 HOURS in Sandy Soil-look at this!!

1cooltreeguy

LawnSite Senior Member
OK - I was asking about fusion blades the other day and others on the forum was saying that they only go thru one set of blades a season - WELL - here are my blades after only 20 HOURS. Tell me where I can get blades that will last longer - PLEASE:clapping: :dancing: :usflag:

P4140156.JPG

P4140157.JPG

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
uhm, I don't normally run mine through dirt, mostly grass...
I get at least a season's use, I do scalp a bit here and there but it's accidental, and more and more I'm getting away from those crap yards that have nothing but dirt and rocks and maybe 3 dozen lone blades of weeds sticking up.

Once in 5+ years I hit a root so hard it bent one, but I've never seen new blades that worn after 20 hours of use, and I've hit concrete culverts once or twice with mine... But I sharpen mine daily so long I've cut at least 4 yards (and in the case of acre+ lots, every day regardless).
Here's one of my oldest ones aside a new one, but this one's 4-5 years old and has at least 2 seasons use on it...

I still use it like on a crap job and only on crap jobs (and anymore I don't even want those jobs, that blade is dang thin near the fly-apart points {marked with arrows}). Once a blade doesn't have a lot of steel left, those outer ends could break off during impact and a chunk of steel go flying out the chute, I hate using these with the newer engines.

Mine are all OEM blades, I get them from J-Thomas but I'm not playing brand name games with these things, not until someone offers me one for 1/2 price.
Are you sure yours were brand new 20 hours ago?

OP

1cooltreeguy

LawnSite Senior Member
I get at least a season's use, I do scalp a bit here and there but it's accidental, and more and more I'm getting away from those crap yards that have nothing but dirt and rocks and maybe 3 dozen lone blades of weeds sticking up.

Once in 5+ years I hit a root so hard it bent it, but I've never seen blades that worn after 20 hours of use, and I've hit concrete culverts once or twice with mine... Are you sure they were new 20 hours ago?

I swear it was 20 hours ago. The two mowers we use for the beach are on Very sandy terrain but it is on bermuda sod alot too. The most I have ever got out of the Toro z500 blades is APPX 32 hours. We also do large contracts for the county - not too sandy and we are able to keep blades on those machines 200 hours. What a difference - HUH.:cry: :dizzy:

OP

1cooltreeguy

LawnSite Senior Member

Once in 5+ years I hit a root so hard it bent it, but I've never seen blades that worn after 20 hours of use, and I've hit concrete culverts once or twice with mine... Are you sure they were new 20 hours ago?

Here's one of my oldest ones aside a new one, but this one's 4-5 years old and has at least 2 seasons use on it...

I still use it like on a crap job and only on crap jobs (and anymore I don't even want those jobs, that blade is dang thin near the fly-apart points {marked with arrows}). Once a blade doesn't have a lot of steel left, those outer ends could break off during impact and a chunk of steel go flying out the chute, I hate using these with the newer engines.
That is crazy - 1 day cutting with those blades and There would be no black paint at all. Sandblasted.

jrc lawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
OK - I was asking about fusion blades the other day and others on the forum was saying that they only go thru one set of blades a season - WELL - here are my blades after only 20 HOURS. Tell me where I can get blades that will last longer - PLEASE:clapping: :dancing: :usflag:
All I have to say is wow!!! I have some blades going on 4 years old, changed every day, But obviously, in not so sandy conditions.

OP

1cooltreeguy

LawnSite Senior Member
We did this one HOA about 6 acres and told them after 2 cuts that we were going to have to charge them a BLADE fee. They said "what is that."? I said it is to replace our ragged out blades everytime we leave here - They agreed and have been paying for 4 years - Blade Fee.