1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hunting202, Jul 9, 2003.

1. hunting202

hunting202 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

How many of you balance your blades? How important is it? What will happen if you do not do it?

2. Got one of those little cone balancers. But I have some tough spindles. Cast steel housings & taper roller bearings. Balancing ain't that important to me.
    Have a WB with aluminum housing & ball bearings. I watch that a little closer when balancing.

3. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

You can wear the bearings out in your blade mandrels if the blades are not balanced. I tried the old method of using a nail of round rod, but I don't feel they are that accurate. I'm getting ready to build a blade balancer using a pillow block bearing with an attached bolt to hold the blade. That should be more accurate. I know companies out there make blade balancers, I just have not seen one.

4. Lynn's Lawn Care

Lynn's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I use the little plastic cone to balance mine. The nail just did not seem to work for me. I notice on my W/B If the blades are not balanced it vibrates so bad I do not want to hold on to it. The high end blade balancers like the Magna Matic are a littlebit more than I want to spend.
    David