1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

blanket spraying with a backpack at .5 gallon per 1,000 sq. ft.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by inzane, Apr 18, 2012.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

the spray out of the tip just isn't even. i did my calibration test on the driveway. it is heavy on the left and right side of pattern not to much going down in the middle. everything is new, there was nothing clogged. i am getting .5 gallons per 1,000 sq. ft. with yellow low volume tip and the 25 psi pressure regulator that came with my backpack.

i just got a constant-flow valve from gemplers (21psi RED). but need to figure out what would be an ideal tip for this situation? any suggestions would be very helpful.

2. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Whether you are spray painting or spraying...as you move the nozzle back and forth your nozzle has to slow down and stop, and then reverse directions, at the end of each side stroke. Slight variations are not important (except in spray painting auto fenders).
    You can use painter's techinque, and cover the concrete more evenly by spraying in a series of overlapping figure 8 patterns as you walk forward.

It does not have to be perfect.

Do not use flat fan nozzles if you move your arm back and forth.

http://magnum.graco.com/products/M_Pages.nsf/Webpages/0Spray_Techniques

kemco likes this.
  4. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

well, i should have known better because when i calibrated on concrete i could clearly see it was to heavy on left and right. i blanket app'd my own yard with my backpack with spectracide weed stop (at the rate specified for bermuda grass on the label) sprayed at .5 gallons per 1,000 sq. ft. i walked to fast because i had a little bit left over, so was even less than .5 gallons per thousand. there is some yellowing in streaks that comfirms that its definetly comming out to heavy on right or left.. lol. unless i'm just overlapping to much.. i tried not to.. but that could be it. the yelowing is nothing that won't grow out in a week or 2, but definetly gotta get new tip. i ordered 8004, 8005, 8006 teejet xr tips, gonna keep trying. i don't wave back and forth, i hold it straight out infront.

i've never blanket app'd with a backpack before. only spot treatments when i worked for trugreen and a few other companies.

5. harmonpa

harmonpa LawnSite Member

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency LawnSite Senior Member

Is the tip is a flat or a cone nozzle. If a cone tip try going in circular motion instead of back and forth.

7. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

He owns a zspray now. Thread is 5 yrs old

On a call and Mr Efficiency like this.
  8. Mr Efficiency

Wow, It's like I just took a trip back in time:eek:
    I didn't even look at the date:laugh:

Note to self, look at dates of the post of a post replying to a post always. :drinkup:

kemco, hort101 and ETM like this.
  9. Mr Efficiency

It was because of this new poster. IMG_20171016_215606.jpg

I don't troll 5 year old post,.

10. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Didn’t say your a troll. Just a heads up. It’s cool glad your here.

Mr Efficiency likes this.