Blindside on centipede?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, May 14, 2019.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

i will be running my own blindside on Bermuda for sedges and doveweed. I had good control last year at .5oz msm/5-6 oz sulfentrazone. Going to run a micro mix and specticle to try as a doveweed pre.

Label has centipede on the label. I know the msm is safe under .5 oz. what about sulfentrazone? Seemed I’ve heard some yellow will occur. It’s not my choice on centipede but am already getting some sedge complaints from the handful that complain every year.

2. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak specifically about centipede. But I just ran something similar on round 2 for my Bermuda and Zoysia lawns. 6oz sulfentrazone 0.3g MSM, 1zo carfentrazone. It yellowed and stunted the Zoysia. Set it back at least two weeks.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Why, just why is everyone applying 6 oz of Sulfentrazone at once? Of course it will scorch the grass at that rate. 4 oz is plenty for me. No shame in coming back and applying another 4 oz later. Centipede, St Augustine, and Zoysia will tolerate 4 oz with some tip burn, which mows off.

If I am between a rock and a hard place regarding needing to control sedges, but scorching or stunting is not ok on the more sensitive warm season grasses, I use Certainty+Quicksilver. No burn. Do not spot spray this. Certainty, I have been told, becomes damaging when spot sprayed. Unlike Sedgehammer, which may be poured on each sprig of Nutsedge with no risk of injury.

4. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I just blanket Certainty as well, hasnt harmed anything by itself.

I spot with Sedgehammer now, i used to use Blindside but the sulfentrazone damaged too much for my liking once it warmed up and all the grasses were going. I can't have the hybrid bermuda yellowing.

5. OP
    OP
    grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

Thanks doc. I toyed with my own blindside mix last year on doveweed. 1/2 oz msm ans 5-6 oz sulfentrazone. It worked on doveweed better than celcius so it must be the sulfentrazone showing kill signs.

So you thing 4 oz sulfentrazone would be safe rage yet give sedge kill. I’m not on “retainer” like you and “per app”.

I should have blanket applied certainty in round 2 but turf was transitioning too slow.

6. greendoctor

Put Certainty+MSM together with 4 oz Sulfentrazone. I am on retainer yes. I am also out of a job if I do not show results. Certainty too early before all of the sedge has emerged and while it is not over 80 is a wasted application as well. Why, just why do people want weeds sprayed too early when it is not going to work?

grassmasterswilson likes this.
  7. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

I'll admit I've done some experimenting on my test plot (personal lawn) recently. I hit it with a tank mix of 12oz Sulfentrazone, 8oz Dicamba, .3g MSM, 44oz Bifenthrin, 22oz Imidacloprid and 11oz Trinexapac-ethy. All this on common Bermuda maintained at 1/2". Didn't look the best for a week. All nutsedge and broadleaf weeds were crispy within 18 hours.

8. greendoctor

I believe it. Sulfentrazone in warm weather or above 4 oz per acre is rather severe. I am having to stop using Sulfentrazone here until October or November. Over 85 in the day time. Zoysia is especially sensitive