1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Block calculation question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by VO Landscape Design, May 23, 2008.

1. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Mt. Pleasant Ia.

I want to use capstones to make a flat circle slightly sunk in the ground around a bed. How can I figure how many I will need to make a circle where the edges of each stone fit tight? Say the outside edge is 12" across and the back is 8". Is there a formula to figure out the amount needed short of buying them and laying them out and counting?
    Thanks
    VO

2. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the size of the circle... take the circumference on the circle
    (3.14*diameter in inches) to calculate the amount needed I would take the circumference (in inches) and divide by 12" which gives you the number of caps you need. Add 10% to that number. For example, say it's a 6' wide circle (3.14*72"=226.08/12"=18.84caps*1.1=20.75caps) Since you can't buy 3/4 of a cap get 21. When you cut caps to make a curve your not cutting the outside edge (12" front) you're using that front corner as a reference point to cut the correct angle. If this is still confusing lay them out on the ground and count them and return the extras. lol