• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Block to siding

neversatisfiedj

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a set of stairs I'm building and they will but to the siding of the house. Should I just leave the siding there or cut out the siding so I can get my block flush ?

PaperCutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Maybe I'm not correctly envisioning what you're talking about. So if I understand this, your block comes up into the siding (therefore above the sillplate and at the level of the sheathing). I would assume that you're butting the block flush to the foundation wall as you come up, so if you just butt up to the siding you'll have a gap- the difference between the siding and the foundation wall. If the top of the steps are pushed out the thickness of the siding but the lower courses butt against the wall, you'll have a place for water to sit.

Dave

McKeeLand

LawnSite Senior Member
Stairs look so much better when you cut the siding and install J channel. We just remove the siding and install aluminum flashing behind the area that the stairs will be running it past the siding and just below the sheathing. then build the stairs to it, reinstall the siding and J channel and done.

P1010179.jpg

OP
neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks Chris , yeah I keep underestimating stairs. You think it won't take you long but they do , and alot of material.

Mike33

LawnSite Bronze Member
Stairs look so much better when you cut the siding and install J channel. We just remove the siding and install aluminum flashing behind the area that the stairs will be running it past the siding and just below the sheathing. then build the stairs to it, reinstall the siding and J channel and done.
Nice workmanship.
Mike