Blower gas consumption

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Was cleaning up some sweet gum balls at a property and kept up with has use. My redmax 7500 went through a tank of gas in 65 minutes. That was at full throttle the whole time. It comes out to around .5 gallons per hour.

I'm wondering if that's the number I use or would you go a little higher. In cleaning up drives and walks during normal mowing clean up you don't run full throttle all the time. What do u guys think the number should be?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I guess I don't quite understand what you're asking here.

If it is whether or not that number seems right, no it's a little low IMO. A half tank per hour would be roughly 64 oz per hour, not 74.4 that your tank holds. I have the Husky version of the same blower, and running at WOT in the fall doing cleanups I got about the same amount of time per tank that you did ( approx 1 hour per tank). Considering that the tank holds 74.4 oz of fuel, that comes out to 1.24 oz per minute at WOT. My stihl BR600M on the other hand will run about the exact same atime on one tank, but its tank only holds 47.3 oz of fuel, which is about .79 oz per minute. While both run about the same time per tank, the Stihl is clearly much better on fuel.

Still, I prefer the Husky.:)

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
For clarification.... At WOT i'm using a tank per hour. When doing regular mowing you don't need WOT all the time and do some walking with it idling or not using much trottle. So in those conditions you would think that less gas would be used.

Could you figure fall clean ups at the WOT rate of 1 tank per hour. Then figure regular mwoing jobs at 1.25-1.5 tanks per hour?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
That would be backwards IMO. I use WOT most of the time for leaves, but for regular grass cleanoffs, I can run mine at just off idle for 90% of it, and run all day on one tank of fuel.

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
That's what I meant. Got it backwards. Meant 1 tank an hour for leaves and maybe 1/4 tank an hour for mowing clean up
Posted via Mobile Device