Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I'm just trying to get some opinions here.

I've been looking at purchasing one of the following blowers:

Shindaiwa EB630
Redmax EBZ8001-RH
Echo PB775T
Stihl BR600
Dolmar PB-7601.4

--------------------

What I have now is as follows:
2 Redmax EB4401's (been using these for about 4 years)
and
1 Shindaiwa EB630 (just got this one last year and love it)

-Since the EBZ8001 is, apparently, regarded as "the most powerful backpack blower money can buy", we'll start with that one. How does it stack up to the Shindaiwa EB360? I use the Shindaiwa blower much more than I do the Redmax ones, simply because of its [usable] blowing power. If I was to purchase the EBZ8001, am I going to be disappointed with the difference between it and the Shindaiwa blower? Or will it really be a "wow" when I go to use it? You know what I'm saying? I don't want to strap on something that burns more gas and weighs 5 more pounds just for a 'little' more power. Although the weight is really not an issue to me. I wouldn't care if it weighed 30 or 40lbs if it was considerably more powerful.

-The Echo I have not used but I have been told (by dealers) that it's comparable in power to the Shindaiwa blower I have. What bugs me about that, though, is the fact that the Echo weighs 6 more pounds than the Shindaiwa and has the same amount of power. Why? That doesn't make sense. In addition, I have tried on the Echo - the padding is uncomfortable, and it just doesn't 'feel' right on my back. The straps and the padding on the straps are thin and put a lot of pinpointed pressure on my shoulders. I have almost ruled this one out, but I still want to know what people think of it.

-The Shindaiwa I just threw in there, since I would be defaulting to buying another Shindaiwa blower if all else fails. I know Shindaiwa makes that "big bad and blue" model, but I don't like the sound of the technology it uses, and I've heard some pretty horrible things about how temperamental the engine itself is.

-The Stihl...I don't know. I've heard mixed things about it. Some people swear by Stihl, other people say they're complete junk. The one thing I really don't like about the Stihl is the fact that it only has a 47oz fuel tank, that means more down time and a greater number of times taking off and putting back on the blower, which as you all know, gets rather arduous at the end of a long day. Still wouldn't rule it out if it was the most powerful of the lot.

-The Dolmar I have never even seen in person. Their site lists it as a 4cycle but is it really? Or is it another one of those hybrid motors like the Shindaiwa? I know nothing about this blower, or the company that makes it. More info might be helpful.

Bottom line: I want the most "powerful" blower that I can get, in preparation for the upcoming leaf season. I have a little wonder walk behind blower for the really really tough jobs but in a lot of places I'm still having to rake leaves and other debris onto a tarp and drag away it because of the shear volume. You can't use something like the Little Wonder to blow in tight places or where you need a very 'accurate' stream of air.

I have a lot of yards where I might as well leave the Redmax blowers at home because of their ineffectiveness at what I'm trying to do. Where the redmax blowers fail, the Shindaiwa steps up and does a great job, but here again there are places where the Shindaiwa doesn't do what I want it to either. So...I really want something that would blow the Shindaiwa out of the water (no pun intended) in terms of [usable] power. I've shopped around, and I've only priced the EBZ8001, but I can get one for roughly 430 bucks including tax and 24 RedMax bottles of oil from a dealer close-by. How's that sound? I really don't know what to expect because I've always dealt with one dealer and now I'm straying to try and find something more powerful (the dealer I deal with only sells Echo and Shindaiwa, and Snapper and Toro mowers). I paid 399 for my Shindaiwa blower, and 199 a piece (I bought 4 of them, two of them have since been stolen) for my Redmax blowers.

I know this has been a lot to read and I appreciate anyone who took the time to do just that. I just don't want to be stuck with something I will eventually end up hating, and regretting every time I put it on. I'm sure more than just one person here knows how THAT goes :).

Many thanks!!
-James

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Alright guys, I'm just trying to get some opinions here.
-The Echo I have not used but I have been told (by dealers) that it's comparable in power to the Shindaiwa blower I have. What bugs me about that, though, is the fact that the Echo weighs 6 more pounds than the Shindaiwa and has the same amount of power. Why? That doesn't make sense. Many thanks!!
-James
When units weigh more they got more structure to everything.....if it rolls off the the truck or it you drop it, you will likely still be able to get it going. And the engine on these are rock solid no funny business engineering changes. Stay with you choices and do not go to the 4-mix.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I really don't want something that's brand spanking new, and I can't really wait at all. Leaves are already starting to fall. Plus, availability is an issue as well, they'll likely be snatched up before I can get my hands on one. Not to mention it will likely be more expensive right off the line just so they can maximize on the 'new' factor, ya know?

So...from the five that I listed...which would you guys recommend? I am specifically interested in the blower [ebz8001] from Redmax, but it seems no one has given me any answers in regard to its power (not that I'm trying to be picky or anything).

I've decided myself out of the Stihl...and the Dolmar really doesn't strike me as anything special. So I guess that leaves the three. What 'cha guys think?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Brute power the Redmax is hands down the winner on moving a pile of leaves I have 1 8000 Redmax and 3 Br600 Stihl and the Redmax only comes out for cleanups I have had 2 600s for 3 seasons now with no trouble yet so I bought another last week. I bought an Echo 755T last year and it wasnt even close as far as power to the ground and it was not nearly as comfortable as the Stihl.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, cool. I actually talked to the sales rep (again) for the place that sells the RedMax blowers, and he's going to let me walk out the door with the EBZ8001 and 24 bottles of 2-cycle RedMax Oil for roughly $430, give or take a few cents. PLUS 120 dollars off my next purchase with them of 300 dollars or more. I'm starting to like these people :D :D

I told them to hold one for me until tomorrow. I hope they don't sell out :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.