Blowouts

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by GreenLawn51, Jul 21, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    GreenLawn51

GreenLawn51 LawnSite Member

What pressure do you prefer and how long for the drip irrigation zones?

2. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The same as everything else, and for as long as it takes to blow it out, just like every other zone. There is no magic number, some zones take a minute, some take 10 minutes. Besides the zone, as I mentioned before, it’ll depend on your compressor, the cfm, how you’re hooked up, how much hose you’re using, is this the first zone you’re blowing out or the last, how much main line was there between this zone and the last zone, how much drip is there, how much pipe is feeding the drip from the valve, how much blank tubing is there vs emitters ...

3. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I’ve also seen guys using the wrong size compressors spend over an hour on a blowout that would have take me less than 15 minutes, and because they’re using the wrong compressor they’re probably still leaving the lines half full at the end of that hour long blowout too.

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

It's 95 degrees out it's August why are we worried about blowouts

5. OP
    OP
    GreenLawn51

GreenLawn51 LawnSite Member

True, it's still Summer. I'm about 10 weeks or so out from thinking about taking care of the irrigation, and leaf starting leaf cleanups.

I'm going to rent a 185CFM diesel compressor and just trying to learn as much as I can. Some of the properties are blowouts on the end of the street while the others are backflow petcocks located in a variety of places.

Although it's this hot out, people are already asking about snow removal. So my mind is well beyond summer.

6. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

I use a homemade alligator clip pigtail with a bunch of leads coming off of it

GrassManKzoo likes this.