Blowouts

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by GreenLawn51, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

No one is worried-just salivating thinking of the season's "Fast Money".

And some time off to be with family and travel a bit.

hort101 and Mdirrigation like this.
  2. Love the Green Biz

Try to ID them, take a picture, fill out the complaint form and send it in. Stacy Anderson will see to it that a fine is levied. She's always done right by me.

3. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

It really is silly that we aren’t supposed to install or repair backflows ... most plumbers around here don’t stock repair kits and aren’t certified to test their repairs either, so ...

As for blowouts being over priced, I disagree. You’re not only paying for the 10 minutes of my time, but the drive time, the time spent scheduling, compressor time, additional wear and gas towing the compressor all day, 10 months of storage ... besides that, and most importantly, you’re not paying for the time, but for the value. A bad blowout is going to cost you a lot more than the $40 you saved. That plumber you’re gonna call to replace you backflow is going to be $3-500, water left in the lines from a small compressor, or blown heads from too much pressure will all cost you more than the few bucks you might save with the cheap guy.

Maybe your guy does a good job and knows what he’s doing. But the guys doing $40 blowouts around here do not.

hort101, kawasaki guy and m_ice like this.
  4. Love the Green Biz

This is true. Those knuckleheads doing the rented compressor BOs (or a cheap little 5 HP in a truck) have low end clients the likes of which you or I do not want. Their clients are the same HOs who try to flag you down for a cheapie blow while you are at your client's home. I've heard this line more often than I could count while I am during my work-"Hi-my house is right over there".

My reply is usually "My house is a couple of towns over in that direction". And I then I point. Leaves most of them speechless. The really nervy ones may follow up with "how much do you charge?" to which I respond-"you must call the office at the phone number on my truck for any information".

And that ends it there. These clowns think nothing of trying to get an employee of yours to do the work and pocket the cash (which they think should be $20-don't ask me why this number pops into their heads).

Can't wait-BO season is a month away.

5. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

Lol...what kind of clients do you have?

6. Love the Green Biz

You seem to have missed the point-I have the high end clients. I am referring to the HOs who try to get others to come to their homes "while you are on the block" for a quickie (and a cheapie).

I never entertain their requests.

7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

THe rented compressor BO's are terrific, brand new high powered diesel compressors. We have the best company in the area, they are fair, they are probably one of the more popular, and they know what they're doing. we get the same tech everytime, very knowledgeable and friendly. $40, done. There is no such thing as a low end or high end client, you're talking jibberish to make yourself sound better than the rest. 2 clients, both pay the same, both get the same service, doesn't matter who they are or where they live.

If i went up to a neighbor who had the irrigation company out doing a blowout and inquired about work and mentioned that my house was "right over there", and the response was " my house is a couple towns over and call the office I can't give an estimate", you'd be long gone. Terrible business practice that clearly shows you aren't polite with any potential customer.

8. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Does the roam remote allow you to open multiple zones at once?

9. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

let's please try to stick to the topic...referring to a few posts/comments made that I removed

thanks

10. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

I've never even looked to see if the Rome XL does have those capabilities. We use the rome with jumpers in the box...the alligator clip style