Blowouts

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by GreenLawn51, Jul 21, 2019.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

clueless because i know that the rented compressors push more than what most guys own? Am i clueless because I stated that and you think that the rented ones are inferior? The largest company around me uses nothing but rented compressors that are brand new state of the art, that does not make them a bad company.

If you do not entertain potential new clients and have no room to grow, that's great for you. How can you call a business owner clueless for entertaining potential new clients, that's how you win business. That seems counter productive. Your logic in this states that you only pickup clients if they have never used another company previous, because if they have, they are a floater. Just sounds like bad business and can't possibly be legitimate advice for anybody, ever.

The customer likes a lowballer, and if the company can successfully lowball while gaining a large customer base and profiting well, they probably like lowballers too.

I can tell that you are old fashioned, and that your 50 years experience has you knowing all, but I do question your advice.

2. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

You have one vivid imagination. Please show me a quote where I stated a "rented" piece of equipment is somehow "inferior"?

If you or anyone else wants to pick up and do business with a walk up floater then please collectively knock yourselves out. Not one legit company by me takes one right off the street as we know what their deal is. We've all seen enough to know not to entertain the "floaters". They are best left to the low ballers.

I did however state emphatically (and you may quote me here) that "nobody likes a low baller-nobody".

FYI-low balling = bad business practices. In anyone's book.

3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Right here bud, you actually clearly staet that they're knuckleheads if they run the rented compressors, and that they have low end clientes, another falsity. Your claim is 100% incorrect based on my experience with irrigation companies.

Regarding low ballers. According to your pricing and methods, everybody in my area is a low baller. The largest most successful company that comes for $45 and does hundreds if not thousands of blowouts per fall would be considered a low baller and bad business according to you.

You would be 100% incorrect.

What people genuinely don't like are companies who over charge, and when they find out they are paying to much, they go to another one. You are nuts if you blame customers for shopping around and being competitive. You also likely do not do much business. If you can do it and get away with it, fine, but dont' get mad and then call other companies low ballers, especially not the ones that are 3x's your size. Doesn't fit the business model for you, but they're doing the same thing, cheaper, better, and more. period.

I would also like to repeat that I find it childish, and unprofessional to bash a companies clients, and legitimacy simply because they are using a rental. That does show your knowledge is lacking.

4. benhargreaves

benhargreaves LawnSite Member

This is not the blowout thread I was expecting to walk into. We start first compressor this Thursday, then the second Monday, and the third the following week. The fourth is yet to be determined. We could have started sooner but we rent our compressors. We've gotten so much rain this year, half the people out there haven't turned their systems back on since we started them. We've had calls for the last month asking is we could do the blowout now.

We did finally buy our own compressor today. She's a bit rusty, but only 800 hrs on it. Smith 175. I'm a little nervous, because now if that compressor breaks down, we're on our own. The nice thing about renting is that if there is an issue, we have a replacement delivered by the next morning. I need to come up with a name for our new compressor. Any ideas?

5. Love the Green Biz

Still with the vivid imagination. I did not insult rented equipment-just the knuckle headed low ballers USING the equipment. I myself own four VRK220s that deliver 70 CFM AND RENT two 185 CFMs for larger properties.

I take task with the LOW BALLERS and the cheap clients that use them. If BOs are cheap in your area there is an economic reason for this-your market simply cannot support higher prices.

Around my neck of the woods we irrigators are licensed, registered and insured. We must have a business permit issued by our Dept. of Community Affairs which also regulates building inspectors, Consumer Affairs and by extension plumbers and electricians.

The knuckle heads renting and blowing are actually breaking the law around here and the fines start at $2500 and go up from there. Caught a second time and you must sign a court sanctioned cease and desist order. Violate that and you are in contempt of court along with the accompanied penalties. They are a slippery bunch and not easy to catch-though I have nailed many over the years.

Furthermore I seriously doubt your low balling brethren have any more insurance that that on their vehicle. Renting a compressor and going out into the world is risky-not only to the public at large but to the low baller themselves. What if an accident occurs? I've had hoses explode and whip around dangerously until the air flow was cut. One of my employees got a passerby wet who then claimed to become ill and sued us. Guess what? Having business insurance that covers known and unknown contingencies lets me sleep at night-so what happens to the flyby night in these instances? Oh yeah-they are screwed. Doesn't matter how new and shiny their rented compressor is now does it?

Also for your information last fall my company did 3173 winter blowouts-45 of which were HOAs from 15 to 55 acres. I also doubt there are low balling companies in your area that do "thousands" as you have claimed.

I'll repeat this-nobody likes a low baller-nobody. If anyone else on the this "Blowouts" thread wants to stand up and defend low ballers go right ahead-doesn't stop legit companies from charging what they need to maintain their net profit margins. And those profit margins do not justify the need to pick up the floaters encountered along the way.

6. Love the Green Biz

Smith and Wetson.

7. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I will pick up a few neighbors every year, but they’re paying the same as everyone else, if they don’t want to pay full price they can find someone else.

hort101 likes this.
  8. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

If they’re doing 3x as many blowouts, at 1/3 the price he is charging, who is really better off?

9. Love the Green Biz

Exactly my point! If they will pay full price then do it. Whenever I have stated a price they turn around and walk away-they are looking for that employee that will do it cheap and pocket the cash.

This is why now for years I have been telling them to call my office for pricing and other information-if they are serious they will call-almost to a person they don't which tells you precisely what their deal is.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  10. Love the Green Biz

It always seems the Jersey contractors are so much more tuned into the business than others around the country. In my travels I get the same feeling from our Texas brothers-they know their business and are also true pros.

I still can't emphasize this enough-nobody likes a low baller-nobody. Be it for a BO or that never ending $20 mow and blow the people that do the cut throat pricing are a huge negative blot on all our businesses.