Blowouts

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by GreenLawn51, Jul 21, 2019.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

not 1/3 the price, not even close, this guy says he's around 65-?? for the single household customers or little old lady customers as he called them. So, it's like 20 bucks difference, more like 2/3's the price. and i assure you they are better off. Anybody who has to insult the lower price companies by somehow stating they aren't pro's or that they use rented equipment is clearly not really in the game. The average cost in my area is about $60 per blow out, so there's room above and below. Blow outs are not hard, they do not require any special training, nor are they labor intensive in any way shape or form.

I know we all want to justify the 85 buck blow out, but I feel it's a bit arrogant to insult anybody who can do it cheaper, more fair, and still make a real good profit, while picking up new customers all the time. That's called business and it doesnt' hurt the industry.

2. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We’re at about $90 for a blowout (which I don’t think is enough), and I’m pretty sure he is more expensive than we are. I could be wrong, but I think the $65 blowout for the little old lady includes a bit of charity, we have a few like that, 30 year customers who are recently widowed ...

If $65 is the average price for winterizing in your market, and you think doing it for $40 isn’t hurting the industry you’re wrong, and the fact the $65 is the average should be all the proof you need.

3. rippinryno

65 is the national average friend. There are several in this thraed alone who are charging in that ballpark and they have mentioned it. Search some of the older threads and get a feel for what people charge for a typical residential setup.

fact still remains, my guys here aren' charging 1/3 of what this other guy is, they're just charging less. It all depends on how many zones, etc. etc. etc. In generally a standard ressie in my area is $45 from the largest company in town. Has been for the past 2 seasons and like i said, this company isn't hurting the industry, they are leading it. So, yeah, i mean i know it sucks when you're not able to rip people off, but blowouts are a piece of cake with very little over head, if you cant' admit that, i am sorry. I drag a trailer with mowers on it to a property and $40 is my minimum. I can garuntee you that my $40 has more work, cost and effort than a simple blowout. The problem with some irrigation mindsets is that they only get to winterize once, so they feel that they need to be pulling as much money in as they can since the job lasts about a 1 month out of the year.....that means they're over charging. I stand by the fact that many blowouts are way over priced and for the reason above, not due to cost to get there, training, or all that jive, but simply because it's what they charge. ripoff.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

This guy will argue his (approximate) 2/3 pricing methods until blue in the face. In Jersey we nail the clown dragging a compressor around in his mowing trailer because it is a guarantee of two facts-the first that he is not licensed and the second that he is a low baller.

To continue to whine about how all of us legit company owners are somehow "ripping" people off is a sure sign of a wannabe. I rarely bet but when I do it is only an odds on bet. I would take the bet that others in his area that are truly in the industry think the mower trailer guy charging $40 when they are charging $65 will have a real sour taste in their mouths for him and his low balling ways.

Any takers?

Mdirrigation likes this.
  5. rippinryno

I just find it quite rude, and really just plain arrogant to assume that because a guy has a rented unit, he's a clown and not licensed. You are way off base. As I have said several times now. The company here that does basic ressies for $45, is not a lower baller, nor are they unprofessional. They have the market here, they have 4.8 star reviews and personally, most of my customers have zero issues. It is why I refer them, they are affordable and professional. I do apologize for anybody who rents a unit and has a license, because there's people like the guy above who think they aren't professional. move on dude, there's people doing work just the same as you, don't hate.

what's better is that there is literally a post in one of the older blowout threads where you are running a vrk 220 and it's bolted down to your truck bed. were you not licensed and a clown at that time since you had it bolted down in your truck bed? Or is that so much better than a van or a landscape trailer? You see the problem here? Is your bolted down unit better than a rented pull behind? Please explain, is it because you paid 10 grand for it and now have to charge more than the guy who's renting one for $80 a day and charging less but profiting more? I guess i can see why that might bother you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

When blououts go down to $45 to $65 for a residential , I will hang up my hat . Those are 1985 prices in my parts . $95 for 4 zones then 10 a zone

7. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Irrigation is not mowing lawns, so we get to charge more. I’m sure you do more work and effort for $40 than your lawyer or doctor too, doesn’t mean you’re worth the same as them either.

Love the Green Biz and hort101 like this.
  8. Love the Green Biz

$45 is a low ball number-period. No hate here-just pity that your market is so skewed to the low end.

And I bought my VRKs for $6950 but thanks for your concern Re: my wallet. Touching.

9. Love the Green Biz

You keep fixating on the rented unit and not the clown doing the low balling. The compressor is innocent here-rented or owned-it's not giving away services way below market prices-the low balling clown is doing that.

When I spy a trailer/mower/blower/compressor combo around my parts that screams unlicensed-no two ways about it. And you seem to drift off on the license part-I am referring to an Irrigation License which is required in NJ, Connecticut, Rhode Island, North Carolina, Texas, Illinois and Louisiana. Other states looking to get on board are New York, Massachusetts, Minnesota and Alabama to name a few. California and Oregon require a Landscape License to perform irrigation services. This is what I am referencing when I say "license".

Mdirrigation likes this.
  10. rippinryno

the license to which you speak of, at least in illinois is 100% laughable. It's literally a signature from a plumber, yipee! I know guys who have been working with irrigation companies for years that know more than most of the "licensed" guys. Most states don't require a license, go figure.

$45 isn't lowball, it's the going rate that the most successful company in my town charges. How can that be low ball. Charging a $95 minimum to go spend 15 minutes at a persons house blowing out their lines is an over charge, this is why sevearl companies are able to make more by charging less, customers aren't all clueless, many of them actually do want to be compettive and make sure that they are paying the proper price.

i can assure you I don't do more work, regarding mental strain, stress, and responsibility than a lawyer or a doctor. I also do not pay hundreds of thousands in student loans. Since you wanted to use that to justify your overage charge, does that mean that your work is in fact much more straining, and that your qualifications compare to a doctor or lawyer?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019