Blowouts

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by GreenLawn51, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

15 Minutes ? NOT . On a 6 zone system , first you have to unroll the hose and locate the backflow , 5 minutes if you know the property . Second you knock on the door to have customer open garage . 5 minutes . Turn off water inside 5 minutes . Hook up , start compressor and blow out 3 minutes first zone , 2 minutes each zone after 15 minutes . Rollup hose and give bill and wait for payment , another 5 or 10 . You are looking at 1/2 hour average stop . Include travel time and you are at 45 minutes to an hour per stop .

And yes where I am from $45 is a lowball , $95 is on the cheap end and $125 is the larger companies . For a 6 zone . $45 is what we were charging 30 years ago .

Love the Green Biz and JLSLLC like this.
  2. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The fact that licensing is so laughable in your state is probably why your rates are too.

We’re not charging lawyer or doctor rates, but we are charging more than landscaping rates. Irrigation is more specialized and requires a bit more of a brain than working a leaf blower, so we get to charge a bit more, even if all we’re doing is blowing water out of the lines.

I guess you can strive to be the McDonald’s/Walmart of your field, or you can be better than that.

3. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Also add in the phone time to schedule-either via your office staff or you the contractor personally.

Amazing how someone can go on and on rationalizing a low ball price and expects us to believe that "$45 isn't lowball, it's the going rate that the most successful company in my town charges" is in fact true. He even admits that the going rate nationally is $65 so what part of the good ol' USA does he hail from?

Where do these people live that they charge such cheap rates? Are they in a time warp that keeps them stuck in 1987?

Do they also cut lawns for $20 a pop (or less)?

hort101 and Mdirrigation like this.
  4. Love the Green Biz

Not laughable elsewhere. I have personally turned in more complaints and put more hacks out to pasture in the past 20 years than I have kept count of.

Go try the illegal route in Texas as another example-or Connecticut. Just like in NJ when caught the laughs stop cold.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Around here the going rate for a typical residential system seems to be right around $100. For the equipment needed to do it right and the potential liability for doing it wrong on any company that stands behind their work, seems like a fair price.

If someone wants to pay a lowballer who might or might not know what they’re doing or take the time needed to do the job right, does that someone also want the potential hassle and cost to pay for a leak locate and repair to freeze cracked lines in Spring? I’m doubting the lowballers stand behind their work come Spring — how could they afford to?

6. Love the Green Biz

Good point.

The sad part is that the low ballers are serving low ball clients to whom price is the only criteria. I have called this the Amazon effect but with all due respect to the behemoth online seller this behavior existed long before they did.

The reason I call those type of clients "floaters" is because you can't count on them year to year to be a loyal client. When a low baller appears on their block they all float over to them like flies to sh...

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    GreenLawn51

GreenLawn51 LawnSite Member

What do you guys prefer to set your regulator on say a 185 cmf diesel, with a 25' 3/8 id hose going into a street side blowout valve?

8. Love the Green Biz

3/8" ID is going to restrict volume so if possible use a larger diameter hose.

For psi try to keep it under 80 and even less on smaller systems (60-70). Some say don't exceed 40-50 but in my years I find that to be on the low side. Just don't blow any zone too long as heat does build up and damage could result.

Mdirrigation, kawasaki guy and JLSLLC like this.
  9. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

So wierd how you generalize that. We have been with our company for 8 years. I have to think that they have many long term clients, they just pick up the new ones too. Raking it.

10. Love the Green Biz

Very weird reply. Why do you persist in rationalizing low end pricing? And proudly making claims about those without enough business aplomb to bring pricing up to a 21st Century level? Weird and strange-indeed.

And what you call a generalization is spot on reality where I hail from culled from five plus decades of dealing with tens of thousands of the variety that is the consuming public. Reality trumps generalization each and every day of the week.

Just not in your world. You truly live in a different place than most of us.