1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bluebird 530 Aerator Chain Length??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Deuced, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Deuced

Deuced LawnSite Member

Hello All, I have purchased a used aerator and have noticed that the chain on it is really loose! The chain adjuster is maxxed out and still loose. All of the sprockets are good and bearings/mounts are good. Does anybody know the stock chain length or number of links for a Bluebird 530? Thanks alot.

2. Deuced

Deuced LawnSite Member

I discovered that I do have the right length of chain in the machine. Great! Now why can't i tighten this thing??

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

How exactly did you determine this machine has the right length chain ?

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

http://www.bluebirdintl.com/ddoc/BLUO/BLUO2005_USen/BLUO2005_USen__107999R03.pdf

Here's a link to a 530A although the specs don't indicate the number of drive links.

If if the adjustor is maxed out, you either have a chain that is too long or both the chain and sprockets have excessive wear. If the chain is not adjusted properly on a regular basis, it doesn't take too long to develop wear in both the chain and sprockets.

As Rob is suggesting, check with a dealer or give Bluebird a call to determine the correct chain length.

5. Deuced

Deuced LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

6. Deuced

Deuced LawnSite Member

Rob, I found somewhere on the internet that the #40 permalube chain has a spec of 104. I assumed that means the number of links which is what I have on my chain. Is that right? Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just get a chain breaker and custom fit a new chain?