Bluestone walkway heaving

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CB46, Feb 3, 2019.

1. CB46

CB46 LawnSite Member

Hi Folks,

A few years ago , I had a landscaper install a rear paver patio with great success . No movement whatsoever ever 3 years later. So naturally we decided to use the same contractor for a bluestone walkway this early December.

The bluestone is 1” thermal, dry laid on a gravel/crushed stone base. I didn’t measure the dig, but you can see from the pictures it looks like 4-6”. We were not able to add poly sand due to the wet conditions in December and now it is too cold (we plan to in spring). The edge restraint is mortar.

Issue is there seems to be a lot of movement with the freeze thaw cycle, which I didn’t expect. It’s not so bad that it’s a tripping hazzard, but it bothers me to see it. I live in the Philadelphia area, so we get a decent amount of rain/snow and freezing weather.

My main question is , once the poly sand is in, can I expect that will help with stabilizing this movement? Or do I have a larger issue with installation? Or is this just the nature of bluestone? I’ve only had pavers previously.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have been really worried about it.

Thanks!
    CB

41F510AE-C38E-423F-822A-AA1478D788D2.jpeg

33220DFF-6705-49F7-824B-6151F0F27FFE.jpeg

DD7FE9B5-7C69-4909-9071-7876345F1243.jpeg

F13F4BD3-44AB-4FE4-81E1-898619A750B2.png

9CAB823B-977B-4FC3-8E10-6DFA1BDD6235.png

90429628-48AC-4CF5-A9EF-37771B119D44.png

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

First, I like the Ring Construction pics. I think most of the heaving you are seeing will go away after the ground thaws and dries out. Not getting the poly sand in didn't help things at all but you can't install that stuff in cold weather. I would let the contractor know whats going on and they might have to reset a piece or two. This is more common with the larger aspect ratio of the bluestone. If you are on clay you can probably expect more of the same in the winter.

rlitman and CB46 like this.
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

1" bluestone dry laid?

hort101 and cotyledon like this.
  4. CB46

CB46 LawnSite Member

Yes. Had been told thermal was hard enough to do this.

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Is that a gutter downspout I spy at the end of the porch? How is the ground graded away from the path?

Frost heaving will be worst if the ground is wet.

hort101 likes this.
  6. CB46

CB46 LawnSite Member

Frost heaving will be worst if the ground is wet.[/QUOTE]

Yes but that gutter empties far away and downhill from the bluestone. It’s trenched about 20 feet to the right from that camera and there is good pitch there

hort101 and rlitman like this.
  7. CB46

CB46 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. The contractor said he will come fix the stones , I just hope it’s initial settling and lack of poly sand rather than an annual routine.

8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

this was a very rainy season the soil was probably saturated as it drys a little settling was probably unavoidable
    when water freezes it expands causing frost heavesThumbs Up

As a side note Im not sure but I dont see joints that need grout

Walker56 and CB46 like this.
  9. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Fair enough. I'm just trying to cross off the easy answers when the details weren't completely clear from the (still very good) pictures.

hort101 likes this.
  10. CB46

CB46 LawnSite Member

Yes and thank you. The lawn does get pretty wet and it’s clay. I do wish the pitch was more towards the street , but there is no accumulating anywhere or anything.

hort101 likes this.