Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bolt doubles up under it without mulch kit first,you might be satisfied with that.Just put them on like this ( + ) and tighten them down,mines never slipped on my 48" walk behind.:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does that mulch a lot better than when you just had 3 blades? I was thinking, with 6 gator blades it should mulch great lol. Will it hurt the quality of the cut on the lawn though? Seems like would cut exactly the same, but mulch better, but with less area for the grass to rise up, maybe not...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What all does that kit include? I bet it would work too.

Would it be better to stack the blades, or put one of the spacers in between so it cuts the grass high and low? Seems like it might be better just stacked really close to me though.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by grassdaddy
Just put them on like this ( + ) and tighten them down,mines never slipped on my 48" walk behind.:)
Just try them like this, and see how it works for you. We use the stock high-lift blades with Gators on top. Works great for us, no special "kit" to buy.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by TROTTMAN
Does anyone make a double blade kit for a 48" Bob-cat mower? Thanks.
Just bolt two of them up. I ran my 48 for years that way. Watch it, you'll get blowout from the front of the deck......Ugh, dusty!!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Have you tried simply using gators alone, without the mulch kit? I've used gators for side discharging all year. Yesterday I put my high lift offsets back on (razor sharp) and noticed clippings all over the place. I'm going to sharpen the gators and never look back again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used Gators on my Sutech a while ago, they didn't mulch well at all. Don't know why, seems like they should. My flat mulching blades worked better.

But now I am thinking about putting my old gators back on with the newer mulching blades on top. See if double blades will work on my Sutech.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've read here where a few guys running Hustlers prefer the Bobcat offset high lifts on top and gators on bottom but nobody uses the brackets for the doubles. I've bought 2-3 sets of them at $12 per bracket and have finally said forget it; they break very easily. Once I get my impact wrench I will attempt doubles again without the bracket.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What does offset mean?

So are you talking about some kind of spacer?

Who makes that kit?

And if you just double the blades up, won't there be a problem with the blades hitting where they bend up (at the end of blade on back side).

BTW, I tried to use 2 sets of blades on my Sutech, it would have none of it. It has 2 prongs that stick out with a special spacer with holes as well. This meant to double blade it I would have to have one blade a half inch down. I cut most of my lawns on my highest setting as it is and I couldn't afford to do it a half inch lower. Plus the blade wouldn't tighten because if the way it was (to hard to explain).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Trottman,
Take two blades and stack them on top of one another in a + pattern; see there is no way they will hit one another unless you hit something hard enough to make one blade turn itself out of the + and into sort of an x or even closer (don't know what you would call that). Even still the blades are rotating together as a set , not independently like a helicopter. The brackets or kit are only sold at Dixie Chopper dealers (as far as I know). I have used the brackets and have decided not to get anymore as they break very easily; besides as I sharpen my blades after every full day mowing, if the formation has moved too much I can readjust it after sharpening blades. I am attaching a pic of an offset blade out of the Jtomas catalog (I hope) it has several pics but look at the one listed as offset. The blade tips are lower than the middle of the blade instead of being straight all the way across.
Hope this helps,
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why is an offset blade good?

I understand both blades would spin together, but I was thinking that if it hit something it would move like you said. I guess I could just move it after sharpening blades too.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by TROTTMAN
Why is an offset blade good?

I understand both blades would spin together, but I was thinking that if it hit something it would move like you said. I guess I could just move it after sharpening blades too.
You really have to wack a big stone to move them at all. The advantage of a straight blade and offset one is you get a larger distance between the cutting of the grass clippings. You need to make sure you don't hit the kick out baffle on the top of the exit chute blade, if you have a "gator blade" on that side.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Lugnut,
I bought my mower used so warranty hasn't been something I take into consideration; the main concern I've ever had is that it will wear the clutch out sooner than normal if the engine isn't thouroughly warmed up- and even then depending on the mower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just weld the two blades together then you dont have to worry about them moving, at least that is what a friend told me. it does seem it would put addes stress on the engine and clutch running doubles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Originally posted by mastersensai
just weld the two blades together then you dont have to worry about them moving, at least that is what a friend told me. it does seem it would put addes stress on the engine and clutch running doubles.
That's not a bad idea but I swap blades around trying to find the best set-up too often.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.