Lawn Care Forum banner

Bob-Cat Ride On mowers

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  yardsmith 
#1 ·
I'd like to know the quality of a Textron Bob-Cat. There's a place 35 min. away that sells them. I wouldn't like to have to go all the way to Roanoke (1 hr 30 mins) to get a Skag or something.
SMB

Edited by: SMB

#4 ·
Compared to what? in what conditions? what type of turf.

I think they cut great. They don't have as many anti-scalp rollers or the deck depth of an Exmark, so they MAY not cut quite as well in certain circumstances, but they fan out grass a little better when cutting ryegrass.

#5 ·
One thing I should tell you about. I wanted one of these when they first came out. I have always been a big fan of Bob-Cat. I was pretty sure I would buy one when I went to get another rider.

Two things changed my mind. One, I talked to one of the only guys around here using one. He said he liked it and it seemed to cut fine. The problem he had was the deck had developed a crack about 10 months before. He had been to the dealer and in contact with Textron on numerous occasions for updates on whether they were going to fix it. He seemed to think they would make it right, but they had not at that point. He was a lot more understanding than I would be. When their advertisement contains a specific note about a no-crack warranty and they try to avoid fixing my machine I would be a little pissed.

Two, even after this I talked to the new dealer (they change frequently) about one and I was actually still interested. I questioned the warranty on the hydraulics, it seemed a little short compared to other companies. He said he thought so too, and since he was new he would talk to the distributor about that to see if had been updated. The distributor told him that it hadn't, but if it meant a sale they would extend the wheel motor warranty to two years. Now I think that there trying to sell a mower by offering a warranty extension was a nice offer, but imagine getting that taken care of if they could not even honor the one they advertise.

#6 ·
The deck crack is completely unacceptable. That should be bulletproof, they've been doing it so long. Also with a ZTR, the deck is hung by chains, which makes impacting a solid object somewhat more tolerable.

As far as the wheel motors, BobCat doesn't make those and they look like the same ones everybody else uses. I don't personally know anyone who's had one fail.

You won't use the wheel motor warranty anyway. They'll last until like 8,000 hours.

#10 ·
Saw the post & had to get my 2 cents in.
So far I've had no problems with my bobcat this year. Friend of mine bought one in 97 & has over 1300 hrs on it & runs it hard; no complaints except for the bad heads they first came out with -problem was fixed the next year & today's are worry free as far as heads go.
About the dealer & cracked deck, I'd be pissed too. Brochure says right on it 2 yr. warranty. Here in my town a guy hit a rebar or something sticking out of the ground & bent the blade. Happened on a friday of a holiday weekend, & couldn't get it in until Monday morning. Had more lawns to do, & by monday had wallered out the spindle too, which was obviously not covered due to neglect/abuse.
The dealer here honored it & got him back on track thru the warranty, & textron was none the wiser. I guess alot boils down to dealers.
Having said that, just today we were fighting the clock as T-storms rolled in today & I was cutting 6.5" thick fertilized grass down to 4" at 5-6 mph (topspeed is 8) with relatively dull blades. Nothing I've ever owned cuts like this beast. Dixies cut good too, but I think my bobcat will hold a hill better, which is more important to me because of my route, & the dixie dealer is way far away (& they cost more than I can part with). What everyone uses in your neck of the woods has alot to do with what dealers are close by (for parts sake) & how good the dealers are. Scags are a more expensive & heavier version of a bobcat (& tougher).
Around here most guys use bobcats, scags, Lazers, & walkers, & a few deeres. Demo all before you buy.

----------
Smitty ô¿ô

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.