Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear him talking about cutting peoples lawns whenever he wants and if they don't like it then "screw them". I'm beginning to see where hes coming from. I have this one customer who complains anytime i don't make it on thursdays. sometimes the rain backs me up and i can't get there til friday. i'm getting sick of them. from now on its either you love it or leave it cause i'm not getting bossed around from anyone. hell, thats the reason i went into business for myself to begin with. thanks bobby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
I don'y cut any of my customer's lawns on any set day of the week. This is due to my strange schedule with the fire dept. Usually I am there either monday or tuesday, or thursday or friday. I told all of my customers this before I took them on, and all of them understood.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
look, you can all laugh all you want about the way i do things. my business is growing litterally as fast as i want it to. i pick and choose my clients, and the way i want to be paid. sure there is an unhappy client here and there, but some people tend to get that way when you don't give stuff away for free or let them push you around. yup, i got a complaint on a fert program today, i also got a client who cancelled due to my price increase, call me back today and say, "this other guy isn't working out, i understand now why you are more expensive, can i get back on the list?" yup, that's the way it works. i do my best to get there on schedule, but, things happen. when it's 110 in the shade, no, i aint pushing it till i drop so i can stay on schedule. when it rains all day, then stops at 6 pm, i don't go running out to cut grass till dark, just to keep that schedule. they get it cut when i cut it, it's a service that is directly effected by weather. WEATHER, means rain, excessive heat, heavy dew, etc, etc. i aint no animal. if they can't roll with the punches, they can call the next guy. if they want a knowledgable lawnboy, who does a nice job, on HIS TERMS, then they dial 1-800-bobbygedd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,963 Posts
I've been doing this for a couple of years now and I'm getting to that point myself.
I can remember jumping whenever someone wanted me to when I first started because I needed the money really bad.
I still need the money but, I get it mostly on my own terms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
Tharrell said:
I've been doing this for a couple of years now and I'm getting to that point myself.
I can remember jumping whenever someone wanted me to when I first started because I needed the money really bad.
I still need the money but, I get it mostly on my own terms.
I think it is very proffesional to have a set schedule...the customer knows you come on thursday unless it rains.. then it's friday. how do you guys have efficient tight routes if your running all over the countryside on different days everyweek. By doing the same routes everyweek...I can do them with my eyes closed halfsleep if I want...when I get board we just do it backwards
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
Jpocket said:
I think it is very proffesional to have a set schedule...the customer knows you come on thursday unless it rains.. then it's friday. how do you guys have efficient tight routes if your running all over the countryside on different days everyweek. By doing the same routes everyweek...I can do them with my eyes closed halfsleep if I want...when I get board we just do it backwards
what if you cut grass mon, tues, wed, thurs, and friday. it rains mon, tues, wed. when do thursdays lawns get cut?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
You would just be backed up then, and may lose a week on some lawns if you don't cut in the rain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Well having one long a$$ day myself today, I can certainly see both sides. I admit I have blown off people before (Mostly due to Texas heat exhaustion), however I do keep everyone on a set mowing day. And if I don't show up on that particular day, any one of my customers would call me in a heartbeat, which I can understand.

My blowing them off due to heat exhaustion is my fault. I overbooked, or didnt' get adequate help for the day. But in the long run, it's my business and I can do what I damn well please. If they like it great, if they don't well adios.

However, I don't want to run my business this way. I DO want to conform to set mowing days (which I do, I only blew off 2 people this entire year), and I always want to have a backup plan so I'm always in control. If it rains one day a week, which is a blessing in Central Texas, then everyone gets bumped one day. If they have a problem with this then screw em' as I can't control weather. I mow in all rain except thunderstorms anyway so this rarely happens.
So in closing do whatever you want! And don't complain about the results of your actions. :blob3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,992 Posts
Bobby taken with a bit of sanity is right.

F the people who think you will be at their house every Wed at 9AM. If you want that reliability buy your own damn mower.

Weather happens, break downs happen, as the bumper sticker says, **** Happens.

With 4 hurricanes last year. I missed mowing one entire week but other than that no one was ever behind more than 1 day. This year I had 2 clients behind by 2 days, one time. One called just wanted to make sure I was ok, the other saw me mowing on Saturday and brought my helper and I each out a big thing of Gatorade and asked if was it the heat or the rain that got you delayed. I told him both. He said I completely understand and that is why I pay you to do it. Thanks and let me know if you need more Gatorade.

Customers like that you keep. The ones that call complaining. See ya, replaced next week.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17 Posts
alwaysgreener said:
Here is another top quality thread..... :sleeping:
Like i allways say the customer is the one that puts food on your table unless you are one of these little kids here that cut neighbors yards for lunch money and lives with mommy and daddy.
I try my hardest to keep all of my customers happy. If i do have a few days of rain i have a couple of guys that i bring in that help me get caught back up. They are only part time and only work when i have extra landscape jobs or after rain days. You guys can find people like this also. You just have to look arround and find part timers that will work only when you need them. To just get rid of a customer because they call and want to know when they will be mowed because it rained is crazy. I do one extra thing that helps me is when it rains i call each and everyone of my customers that will be late and let them know when i can get by there because of the rain and customers understand. To help from losing customers and avoid conflict just call your customers on the rain days to let them know when. I know if it rains for 2 days how to plan out the rest of my week. So get a plan together and work it. When it does rain do you have anything better to do? Call your customers and let them know what up. I havent had one problem this year with mad customers cause i inform them.
Just a thought
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
kclawnmowerman said:
Like i allways say the customer is the one that puts food on your table unless you are one of these little kids here that cut neighbors yards for lunch money and lives with mommy and daddy.
I try my hardest to keep all of my customers happy. If i do have a few days of rain i have a couple of guys that i bring in that help me get caught back up. They are only part time and only work when i have extra landscape jobs or after rain days. You guys can find people like this also. You just have to look arround and find part timers that will work only when you need them. To just get rid of a customer because they call and want to know when they will be mowed because it rained is crazy. I do one extra thing that helps me is when it rains i call each and everyone of my customers that will be late and let them know when i can get by there because of the rain and customers understand. To help from losing customers and avoid conflict just call your customers on the rain days to let them know when. I know if it rains for 2 days how to plan out the rest of my week. So get a plan together and work it. When it does rain do you have anything better to do? Call your customers and let them know what up. I havent had one problem this year with mad customers cause i inform them.
Just a thought
the customer has never put food on my table, and never will. another lawnboy with an employee mentality and self worth issues
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17 Posts
bobbygedd said:
the customer has never put food on my table, and never will. another lawnboy with an employee mentality and self worth issues
Ya like the stupid ideal of starting a union cause your to lazy to succeed yourself. lol
Some of the stupid threads you have made and then you have the nerve to try to insult me. Childish i must say. Grow up and get your self esteem out of your azz.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17 Posts
bobbygedd said:
the customer has never put food on my table, and never will. another lawnboy with an employee mentality and self worth issues
Another lawn boy lol . Would you like to compare companys and net?? Or do you still need to start a union to pay your wages?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
kclawnmowerman said:
Ya like the stupid ideal of starting a union cause your to lazy to succeed yourself. lol
Some of the stupid threads you have made and then you have the nerve to try to insult me. Childish i must say. Grow up and get your self esteem out of your azz.
it wasn't an insult. i've heard it all here. "the customer is my boss". "the customer puts food on my table." " i do whatever the customer wants..." and on and on. lack of self esteem seems to be an industry trait
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top