Bobcat E42

superdigger

LawnSite Member
Anyone have one? How are these machines? I know the E50 is getting great reviews, wondering if the E42 is also a good performer? For its size the bucket and arm digging force numbers look really good, almost as good as an E50 but 8-10 inches narrower. The machine has terrible reach and dig depth compared to the rest of the machines in Bobcats lineup. Machine width is a big thing for me so going up to an E50 is out of the question, I'm looking to replace my bobcat 331 with this machine but first would like do some research on it. There is very little information on this machine from actual users of it, any help is appreciated. I have a great relationship with my bobcat dealer and there service is excellent, so I am pretty brand loyal but might consider another machine if there is a better option out there, but 95% chance I end up back at Bobcats door...
Thanks

EA Quinn

LawnSite Senior Member
We just added an E42 to our fleet. We have a 331 and we are still keeping it, but we needed a bigger machine for heavier lifting and deeper digging. We ended up getting a long arm model and a hydraulic knuckle on the boom so we can utilize the massive 50 some odd inch grading bucket. So far the machine has been great! We can lift/load into our f800 dump truck now so the added reach height has really helped. The extra lifting capacity allows us to set larger granite steps, boulders or propane tanks with ease. For us the purchase has been really great.

OP
S

superdigger

LawnSite Member
How have you found the controls for the e42? I have run one for a few minutes and the controls feel totally different then my 331. Automatically I thought that the machine was junk because I could not run it smoothly, but I'm sure with some practice it would be fine. So going from your 331 to the e42, what controls do you prefer now? I would think that having both machines would be hard to jump from one to the next and still be smooth and precise..?
Posted via Mobile Device

EA Quinn

LawnSite Senior Member
We haven't put a tremendous amount of hours on the new machine yet. We just got it two months ago. The one thing we notice is the new machine controls are touchier. I think its more of a fact of getting used to the 331 controls being broken in and having more play.

OP
S

superdigger

LawnSite Member
I know you said lifting capabilities are improved, nut how about digging? Although it is nice to be able to lift more, its really the digging performance that I care about. What size bucket do you run it with for digging? I would like to put a 30" or 36" on it but I have no idea if it will handle it...

EA Quinn

LawnSite Senior Member
We use a 2 ft digging bucket and 1 ft trenching bucket on ours. Like I mentioned before we did get a 54 inch grading bucket and hydraulic knuckle to help with grading. For us we have never really had much issue with our 331for digging for what we do(if anything reach was an issue on a few water main breaks we had dug) We mainly use it for drainage, basing patios, removing shrubbery, and the occassional concrete removal. So far the power is a huge improvement over the 331. We are partial to bobcat because number one they are close to our shop, so getting parts is easy, and their customer service has been really great. The added lifting capacity for us was a bigger selling point because we set a lot of granite steps and various hardscape features where we need that capacity. The added reach is really nice for doing digouts because we can now directly dig into or out of our bigger dump trucks with the new machine.

OP
S

superdigger

LawnSite Member
That’s the thing I noticed about the e42, I still don’t have mine but the specs say that it will only dig 4" deeper but its dump height is more the 2' higher than the 331. Do you use your machine to load full size trucks? I hope to be able to use mine to load out tri-axle trucks on occasion.

EA Quinn

LawnSite Senior Member
We can load full size trucks. We have been using it to load into our f800 dump truck. We did a dry run and it will load our kenworth rolloff truck. We do have the long arm model on ours which makes a big difference.

dz302

LawnSite Member
We demo'ed one for over a week. Ended up with the E50 but the E42 was a really nice unit just a little to small for what we do day in and day out. You will not be dissapointed in any of the BOBCAT "M" deries excavators.......